Sign in to follow this  
Sambori

MinWG Compatiblity

Sambori    100
Is it possible to use MinWG with any Win32 native libraries that come with the Microsoft Platform SDK? What about using DirectX? Is MinWG binary compatible with VS? Thanks.

Evil Steve    2017
Quote:
Original post by Sambori
Is it possible to use MinWG with any Win32 native libraries that come with the Microsoft Platform SDK?
I believe so, but you need to convert the .lib files.

Quote:
Original post by Sambori
What about using DirectX?
No, Visual Studio is the only supported compiler.

Quote:
Original post by Sambori
Is MinWG binary compatible with VS?
The .lib file format isn't, no.

Why use MinWG? What's wrong with Visual Studio?

Sambori    100
the only reason that I wanted to use MinGW is what I have heard about it's superior optimization and conformance to standard.

Evil Steve    2017
Quote:
Original post by Sambori
the only reason that I wanted to use MinGW is what I have heard about it's superior optimization and conformance to standard.
That's not been true for over 10 years - it was only really the case with VC 6, which came out before the first C++ standard.

Kwizatz    1392
Actually, you used to be able to compile DX applications with MinGW because it uses COM, this was with DX 9.x, last time I tried with the latest DXSDK, I had a lot of header incompatibility.

lib files can be passed as object files during linking and MinGW would be able to handle them as long as the symbols in them have C linkage and (not 100% sure on this one) the .lib is a reference library to a .dll.

It is possible, but just getting a setup that compiles a DirectX application is probably a weekend project, so, unless for some weird reason you need to use GCC extensions or have a lot of GCC inline asm, avoid it.