Texture Artists

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 11 months ago
Speaking as a beginner in the video games industry in general, what is required of a professional texture artist? What is expected in terms of deliverables, skills and abilities? What crucial attributes should I go about getting/improving before attempting to crack into this field?
Advertisement
An art degree and a portfolio. Do you have those?
Also, see FAQs 27 and 24 (View Forum FAQ, above). You have to not do any of the Stupid Wannabe Tricks.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Fortunately I already have an arts degree and the resulting portfolio, at the moment it needs more examples of work that demonstrate an understanding of texture design, but I'm confident enough that I can pull that off.

The degree actually covered most of what was suggested in #27, but I was wondering what the specific demands on a texture artist actually are. When a company begins production, what deliverables are the texture artists generally expected to contribute to the team/product? I can't seem to find this information.
Quote:Original post by Turd Burger
I was wondering what the specific demands on a texture artist actually are. When a company begins production, what deliverables are the texture artists generally expected to contribute to the team/product? I can't seem to find this information.

You can try asking on the Visual Arts forum. And you can peruse the game job sites, read requirements for texture artists in job postings.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement