• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hassanbasil

DX11 recommended DirectX10 book(s)

This topic is 3067 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I've been working on my little game engine using directx 9 for a while now, and, since 10 and 11 are out, i feel like im wasting my time on an old technology, the problem is that i only have directx 9 books, and i didn't find any directX 10 books available in my country, so anyone can recommend some books that can be bought from the internet, which can teach me the basics of directX 10 from scratch ? i've seen some good review over "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10 by Frank D. Luna", is it good, for directX10 beginners?, is there a recommended book for some advanced topics about directX10? Well, i've been wondering for some time now, is there a big difference between dx11 and 10? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
"Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10 by Frank D. Luna" its a great book to learn DirectX 10!!!

Then you can buy ShaderX books or the new GPU Pro.

Is there is a big difference between DX10 and 11. DirectX 11 supports hardware tessellation and other things, but most of the people still dont have GPU's that support DirectX 11

Quote:
Original post by Aqua Costa
"Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10 by Frank D. Luna" its a great book to learn DirectX 10!!!

Then you can buy ShaderX books or the new GPU Pro.

Is there is a big difference between DX10 and 11. DirectX 11 supports hardware tessellation and other things, but most of the people still dont have GPU's that support DirectX 11

how about the syntax and functions and stuff? like, if i learn dx10, and decide to go to 11, will i need to re-write the whole code, like going from 9 to 10? or there are minor differences?

I'm definitely going to buy Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10, the index looks interesting.

There are some different things between 10 and 11, but mostly ID3D10Texture2D just becomes ID3D11Texture2D. Same with functions. No need for rewriting it all :)

Quote:
Original post by mind in a box
There are some different things between 10 and 11, but mostly ID3D10Texture2D just becomes ID3D11Texture2D. Same with functions. No need for rewriting it all :)

Great, then i can switch to 11 whenever i'm ready.

By the way, DirectX10 only works on vista and above, with compatible graphics card, and DirectX11 only works on windows7 (and above) with compatible graphics cards

am i right?

No, you arn't :)

DirectX11 is supported by windows Vista. Here is what you need then:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971512/

A note for everyone: You also need this when you want to run Direct2D apps on vista!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!