• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mind in a box

[DirectX10] My texture views get set to NULL

This topic is 3095 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am writing a bloom post processing shader at the moment, and I got a problem. DirectX sets my textures views to NULL, because it thinks that they are bound as output already. But that is not true (Or it is?)! Here is my code:
void PP_EngineEffect::OnRender(Mesh* PlaneMesh)
{
	//RenderQuad(PlaneMesh,SimpleShader);

if(!PongTex || !PingTex)
	{
		return; //Those textures didn't get created
	}

//------------------------
	//Begin rendering the bloom. I use 2 textures (Ping and pong) to switch between them
	//for doing such things like downscaleing and blurring.
	//------------------------

//Downscale the rendertarget and apply brightpass
	SetRenderTexture(PingTex->RenderTargetView); //Set the new backbuffer
	BrightPass->SetBackBufferVar(NULL); //Set the texture, where the world is rendered to, to the shader (NULL uses the default backbuffer)
	RenderQuadSized(PlaneMesh,BrightPass,0.25,0.25,  0.25,0.25); //Draw quad at size 0.25,0.25 and set the scissoring rect to 0.25,0.25 as well

//horizontaly blur the rendertarget
	SetRenderTexture(PongTex->RenderTargetView);
	HBlur->SetBackBufferVar(PingTex->ShaderResView);
	RenderQuadSized(PlaneMesh,HBlur,1,1,  0.25,0.25);
	HBlur->SetBackBufferVar(NULL);

//Verticaly blur the rendertarget 
	SetRenderTexture(PingTex->RenderTargetView);
	VBlur->SetBackBufferVar(PongTex->ShaderResView);
	RenderQuadSized(PlaneMesh,VBlur,1,1,  0.25,0.25);
	VBlur->SetBackBufferVar(NULL);

//Upscale the blur
	SetRenderTexture(PongTex->RenderTargetView);
	SimpleShader->SetBackBufferVar(PingTex->ShaderResView);
	RenderQuadSized(PlaneMesh,SimpleShader,4,4,  1,1);
	SimpleShader->SetBackBufferVar(NULL);

//Apply the blooming to the rendertarget
	SetRenderTexture(PingTex->RenderTargetView);
	Combiner->SetBackBufferVar(NULL); //Original scene
	if(Combiner->CustomTextureVariable)
	{
		Combiner->CustomTextureVariable->SetResource(PongTex->ShaderResView); //Blurred and brightpassed scene
	} 

RenderQuadSized(PlaneMesh,Combiner,1,1,  1,1);

if(Combiner->CustomTextureVariable)
	{
		Combiner->CustomTextureVariable->SetResource(NULL); //Need to NULL (default backbuffer) this (Do I?)
	} 
	Combiner->SetBackBufferVar(NULL);

//And at least, copy the scene back to the backbuffer
	SetRenderTexture(StartRenderTarget);
	SimpleShader->SetBackBufferVar(PingTex->ShaderResView); //Original scene
	RenderQuadSized(PlaneMesh,SimpleShader,1,1,  1,1);
	SimpleShader->SetBackBufferVar(NULL);

}

The CustomTextureVariable of the Combiner-shader is a special variable for coders to do something with it, without hurting the users freedom of using other textures. SetRenderTexture() sets the current backbuffer And here is what directX says:
D3D10: WARNING: ID3D10Device::OMSetRenderTargets: Resource being set to OM RenderTarget slot 0 is still bound on input! [ STATE_SETTING WARNING #9: DEVICE_OMSETRENDERTARGETS_HAZARD ]
D3D10: WARNING: ID3D10Device::OMSetRenderTargets: Forcing PS shader resource slot 0 to NULL. [ STATE_SETTING WARNING #7: DEVICE_PSSETSHADERRESOURCES_HAZARD ]
These warnings cause that the whole downscale/blurring/etc stuff doesn't run. (It works, I tested it in a simple test) So, how to fix it=

Advertisement
I doubt that the device is mistaken about which resources are set as render target views and shader resource views. You can find out yourself pretty easily by using PIX: find the draw call, look at the device state, and see which resources are bound.

Somehow, PIX crashes everytime I want to use it with my engine. But only if I do the "Press F12 to log everything" option. Every other works. It gives an assert that my backbuffer is not at the same size as my window. I'll try a release build now...

EDIT: And the releas build doesn't starts, because of a side-by-side config problem. ???

Quote:
Original post by mind in a box
It gives an assert that my backbuffer is not at the same size as my window.

Well, is it?

Without PIX, it is...

EDIT: Do I have to validate the new setting of the Rendertarget first? If yes: How?

[Edited by - mind in a box on April 30, 2010 2:37:14 PM]

What is, when it IS bound? How can I unbind them? You see, I set a new ShaderResource and a new Rendertarget before I switch them. Do I need to do something to validate the new settings (Like with a draw call)?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!