• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Oppressor

OpenGL OGRE or just OpenGL?

This topic is 3028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to start learning how to code 3D graphics. I planned on using OGRE, because I have heard a lot of good things about it. However, after several hours of work trying to get it working with my IDE+compiler to no avail, I'm wondering if I would be better off just learning OpenGL myself and doing things that way. I really don't want to waste another afternoon trying to get compiler/environment crap working, I want to code. Is there any reason I should not just start learning OpenGL?

Advertisement
What problems are you having? Maybe if you post them here we can help you resolve them in minutes. Basically with Ogre, you'll be able to jump straight into game development, while if you start with OpelGl, it will be a while before you even contribute one line to the actual game.

I'm using Codeblocks and the MinGW compiler. As far as I can tell, I would need to replace my compiler with their own special version of it.

Additionally, all I can find about Codeblocks are several conflicting (and all very old) wiki articles on how to get it working. I spent a few hours the other day figuring out how to compile the OGRE source. I finally did it, sort of, but I had to install and use CMake and VC++ to do it. Today, I noticed an SDK for MinGW, and that looked a lot easier when I checked it out. The samples actually had source code. But as far as I can tell, that is not specifically for Codeblocks, and it actually requires a DIFFERENT different MinGW to work.

Quote:
Original post by Dark_Oppressor
I'm using Codeblocks and the MinGW compiler. As far as I can tell, I would need to replace my compiler with their own special version of it.

Additionally, all I can find about Codeblocks are several conflicting (and all very old) wiki articles on how to get it working. I spent a few hours the other day figuring out how to compile the OGRE source. I finally did it, sort of, but I had to install and use CMake and VC++ to do it. Today, I noticed an SDK for MinGW, and that looked a lot easier when I checked it out. The samples actually had source code. But as far as I can tell, that is not specifically for Codeblocks, and it actually requires a DIFFERENT different MinGW to work.

What problem are you running into exactly? You said you were able to compile Ogre, can you compile and run the sample apps?

Quote:
Original post by JTippetts
Any reason you can't just use VC++ for your project?

Honestly, I'm just not willing to change my entire programming environment for one library. Plus I really like Codeblocks. Or did you just mean the compiler? Because I guess I could try that out and see if it's simpler.

As for compiling the sample apps, I don't even know where to begin. I don't know what to link with, etc. There is no singular up-to-date guide that I've been able to find. I've found a couple on the wiki, but they contradict on another and both seem to refer to ancient versions of OGRE.

EDIT: I have been trying for the past while to get it working in Codeblocks with the VC++ 2008 compiler. I've gotten close, but I can't get past the linking stage. I just now decided to at least see if it works in the VC++ 2008 IDE, and that failed, too. Both of these attempts are using the VC++ 2008 version of the OGRE SDK, of course. This is all too bad, I really think it I want to use a library like OGRE instead of learning OpenGL from the ground up. :-(

Also, I thought OGRE was supposed to be cross-platform? I tried searching their forums, and found some "just use VC++" answers. Seems kind of unhelpful for people who might not want to make a Windows only game.

NEW EDIT: Ok, I got it working with Codeblocks+MinGW! I found that Codeblocks has an OGRE project template, so I used that to figure out the stuff I needed to start out. It wouldn't work until I copied some files into the OGRE SDK's include directory, but I got that fixed. I also had to download a custom MinGW setup. I can now compile and run that template OGRE app though, so I think everything is working :)

[Edited by - Dark_Oppressor on May 1, 2010 4:01:35 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!