[web] IE Quirks mode

Started by
3 comments, last by ID Merlin 13 years, 11 months ago
I built most of my web game long before IE 8 was released, and I believe that there are several incompatibilities now. I used browser detection, which is considered bad practice, with &#106avascript statements such as "if (ie)" instead of "if (document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientWidth)", which tests capability rather than browser. Still, there are places where using an IE/Gecko feature difference is necessary, such as when supporting alpha/transparency. Does anyone know of a good site that lists the differences between IE and Gecko browsers, and spells out where you still have to use browser-specific code? I'm a LOT less interested in supporting IE 6 now than I was when I started this project, but the reference would be nice to have.
Advertisement
IE 8 has very good standards compatibility these days (to the extent that I have not had to write a single CSS patch or tweak for it, though I still occasionally have to knock one together for IE 7 and nearly always several for IE 6).

PNG alpha/transparency was introduced in IE 7, so that should no longer an issue.

When you say "quirks mode", do you mean your website is running in quirks mode? If so, I would strongly recommend adding the requisite doctype to use standards mode (so you only have to write your site once, not once for every different browser).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

For a web game, IE6 is all but irrelevant. People who use IE6 are usually one of two camps:

- old people (let's be honest)

- office workers in companies that are afraid to upgrade their systems (because the software was pirated or because they just don't adjust to change well).

The rest of the universe has already upgraded their systems. So unless your intended audience is old people or office workers, forget about IE6.

I unfortunately have to cater to both of those groups at work. You may pity me if you wish :-(

Quote:Original post by benryves
IE 8 has very good standards compatibility these days

Careful what you're quoting; IE8 CSS v3 support stinks. Better to target CSS v2.1 feature-set if you must support IE users.
Quote:Original post by leiavoiaI unfortunately have to cater to both of those groups at work. You may pity me if you wish :-(

I have the same sort of job. I'm still enhancing/maintaining VB 6 programs that I inherited almost a decade ago. I'm trying to rewrite about 1 per year in my "free" time, but there are still several left to go. The users don't seem to understand how crippled that language is... they just want new stuff added.

No pity from me!

Quote:Original post by stormwarestudios
Careful what you're quoting; IE8 CSS v3 support stinks. Better to target CSS v2.1 feature-set if you must support IE users.

I'll refresh my knowledge of that site. I see they've added IE 8 and IE 8 as IE 7, which will help a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement