I wanted to learn how to create Obfuscated C++ codes

Started by
6 comments, last by tom_mai78101 13 years, 11 months ago
Check this link here. I wanted to learn how to do this, so many hackers and other illegal developers won't be able to "break" my programs. Where can I learn this? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Obfuscating your source code will not completely prevent hackers from hacking your program.
Quote:Obfuscating your source code will not completely prevent hackers from hacking your program.

This is very true. If you obfuscate your code like any of the IOCCC entries, what would most likely happen is that a malicious user would compile the code to assembly and then work from there.

If people understanding your source code is a problem for cracker, then don't give it to them.

Since your code has to run on the computer via instructions, it can be cracked, because someone could just read the assembly being run on the computer. In fact, this was a project I had to do earlier this semester for one of my Computer Science courses.
can u email me teh codes?
Quote:Original post by tom_mai78101
Check this link here.

I wanted to learn how to do this, so many hackers and other illegal developers won't be able to "break" my programs.

Where can I learn this?

Thanks in advance.

You can learn this nowhere, as it is not a useful skill. It's a hobby.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean with "hackers and other illegal developers" "breaking" your programs. If you give someone the source code they can very easily "break" your program by inserting gibberish or deleting parts, no matter how obfuscated it may be.

Since normally you'd distribute binaries and not source code, obfuscating the source code, which isn't distributed, will not stop anyone from doing anything to your program.

Maybe you should start over and state what the problem is that you want to solve.

Oh...

Well, what should I do to prevent others from editing/modifying my binaries?
The cost/benefit for a small scale developer trying to protect binaries are weighed heavily against you.

There is an entire industry trying to make programs unhackable, and time and time again they are hacked. The best that can be done at the moment is buy a couple of weeks for initial sales.

Your main protection is that your program isn't "popular" yet. Hackers tend not to waste their time hacking every little program that becomes available online. If and when you become popular, you will have more resources to deal with this issue.

Other the other hand, if you are developing a multi-player game there are many steps you can take to reduce the advantages of using hacked or modified (or even completely custom) clients.
Turn on full compiler optimisations and exception handling. Make proper use of exception handling (and expection handling), and multithreading. Send messages between threads. You'll be surprised how hard debugging such a thing can get even if you have the full source code!

This won't stop a dedicated hardcore cracker, but it will prevent every average would-be-leet-kid from reverse-engineering your code.

If you feel like it, sprinkle a few well-known anti-debug measures into your code, and add some checksum calculation to prevent all-too-easy patching. Again, this won't stop someone who is skilled and dedicated, but it will stop the lamers.

Since there are a lot more lamers than experienced crackers, this serves for 99.999%. Unless your game is a multi-million dollar title, chances are good that the other 0.001% won't care, so this is enough protection.

The most effective measure, however, is to design your game for paying customers and make it uninteresting for pirates or in general markets that are unlikely to pay. That sounds easier than it is, but it can work. The creators of the Windowblinds software follow that philosophy, and they've been in business for many years without going bankrupt.
Thanks for the info. :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement