Sign in to follow this  
tom_mai78101

Learning how to maintain large source codes

Many articles were written to teach people how to program, but I haven't seen any article that teaches how to properly maintain large projects and how to deal with common problems. Searching via Google didn't work out. What text should I type to get the results I wanted?

Tell us about the problems. A vague question can often only elicit equally vague answers.

Other than that, this is something that experience teaches. Build larger and larger programs, and you will learn.

I was only asking what to type in Google to search for articles that teaches about maintaining large projects and tips on how to do it.

My experience tells me that I'm not maintaining large projects like professionals. I even have dual monitors, but that only slows down the process. I need tips, hints, anything that can tell me directly how to do it the right way.

I need direct information.

That would take entire books to do that. And there are entire books for it.

I basically just keep everything very modular. Keep an overarching description of how the entire program works, briefly explaining the major areas. Keep comments for every module explaining how it works. Parents should give an overview of what they do and each child should do the same. Keep more detailed comments throughout the grunt work of each module so you don't forget why particular things are there when you go back to that section after 6 months of not looking at it.

With large amounts of code, it's easy to get lost so the key for me is being able to quickly scan through and find out where a certain thing happens. If you jam large amounts of code, that does different tasks, into big modules then you have a much harder time scanning through your code and debugging when there's a problem. With large projects, you tend to not see areas of code for a long time and then when you need to go back to it, you have to sit there and re-figure-out how it works (or doesn't work suddenly). That takes time and time is the very thing that you don't have to waste.