• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hiigara

[C++] Smart Pointers with Polymorphic Objects

This topic is 2974 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I intend to Store Objects of a derived Class as pointers to the Base Class, in a shared_ptr. Does this mean that I need a virtual Destructor in the Base?

Advertisement
Yes. In general, any class with virtual functions should have a virtual destructor. I would only be tempted to remove the virtual destructor if I had overwhleming proof that it was causing performance issues.

Such a scenario is extremely unlikely, and probably has more macro-optimisation opportunities available - you would have to be allocating them at a ferocious rate and allocation is also expensive.

Quote:
Original post by hiigara
I intend to Store Objects of a derived Class as pointers to the Base Class, in a shared_ptr. Does this mean that I need a virtual Destructor in the Base?

You should.

But actually boost::shared_ptr is in fact written in such a way that it isn't necessary, provided the shared_ptr is constructed in the correct manner.

Its constructor looks like this:

template<class T>
class shared_ptr
{
public:
template<class Y> explicit shared_ptr(Y * p);
// ...
};

So if you were to do the following, shared_ptr is actually smart enough to call the destructor of the derived class.

shared_ptr<Base> p(new Derived);

You can read the implementation to find out why and how this works (it's related to the fact that shared_ptrs have "deleter" objects and a default deleter will be based on the type of Y given to the constructor).

However, this isn't true for smart pointers in general so I wouldn't rely on it. Add a virtual destructor.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!