Sign in to follow this  
Hassanbasil

DirectX 10 and input layouts

Hassanbasil    195
Hello everyone, So i've been starting with dx10 few days ago, i managed to draw some text on the screen and create some basic stuff, so the next thing on the list is created and rendering meshes, but i dont seem to get that input layout thing, does it mean that i MUST have at least one shader for my projects, than can do some basic stuff? that's awful..so anyway, here's what i'm doing:
void hxCore::Update ( void )
{
	_device->OMSetDepthStencilState ( 0, 0 );
	float blendFactors[] = { 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f };
	_device->OMSetBlendState ( 0, blendFactors, 0xffffffff );

_device->ClearRenderTargetView ( _renderTarget, _clearColor );
	_device->ClearDepthStencilView ( _depthStencilView, D3D10_CLEAR_DEPTH | D3D10_CLEAR_STENCIL, 1.0f, 0 );

//render objects
	for ( unsigned int i = 0; i < _ObjectV.size(); i++ )
		_ObjectV[i]->_Render ( );

_swapChain->Present ( 0, 0 );
}

//object _Render() method
void hxObject::_Render ( void )
{
	if ( _vaild )
	{
		UINT stride = sizeof(_hxVertex2);
		UINT offset = 0;
		_MainCore->_device->IASetPrimitiveTopology ( D3D10_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_TRIANGLELIST );
		_MainCore->_device->IASetVertexBuffers ( 0, 1, &_VertexBuffer, &stride, &offset );
		_MainCore->_device->IASetIndexBuffer ( _IndexBuffer, DXGI_FORMAT_R32_UINT, 0 );

_MainCore->_device->DrawIndexed ( _numFaces*3, 0, 0 );
	}
}

the object's vertex and index buffers are made correctly for that object, but it breaks at _MainCore->_device->DrawIndexed ( _numFaces*3, 0, 0 ), so it's caused because i did not create a vertex input layout, right? and to create one, i need a shader?

DieterVW    724
DX10 is a shader only pipeline. You'll have to create an input layout and a vertex shader and a pixel shader in order to see anything. There are lots of tutorials with very simple shaders around so that part shouldn't be too much work.

Though the layouts are a little confusing, you can have one layout to use with many shaders.

Hassanbasil    195
Quote:
Original post by DieterVW
DX10 is a shader only pipeline. You'll have to create an input layout and a vertex shader and a pixel shader in order to see anything. There are lots of tutorials with very simple shaders around so that part shouldn't be too much work.

Though the layouts are a little confusing, you can have one layout to use with many shaders.

Ahh that's depressing, Thanks for the info