Path to Game Development

Started by
6 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 11 months ago
I am a beginner programmer with a goal of 3D Game Development. I know it is a long path to walk, so I will need some guidance. This is the best place to gain knowledge. As far as i can tell, I will need to understand (in order): C++ Math // - GWDev WinApi DirectX And after I learn the Language, OS & DirectX Libraries, then I can begin work on making old style clones (pong & such) So far, thats what I think I know. I would like to know if there is anything else that would be required between each library. [Edited by - Dv02 on May 1, 2010 3:40:54 PM]
Good Luck & Have Fun (Gamers Creedo)
Advertisement
Hello Dv02,

do you want to learn Game Development as a hobby or to find a job in the industry? Do you know any other programming languages and have used them?

If you are doing it as a hobby i would suggest looking into C# and XNA. You can do some amazing stuff with it and there are many good tutorials on it.

And it helps to learn some math. At least you should know how to deal with vectors and matrix stuff.

--GWDev
I want to make it a career. I am learning C++ at the moment, got past pointers and references, classes & functions, now I am learning about abstract classes and proper coding.

It is my first language and I have invested in several books (C++ Primer, C++ for programmers, and Code Complete) in order to learn it correctly and effectively. The section on books for beginners here at GameDev has been very helpful and critical to helping me learn.

I have also purchased a few math books from the local college to help me learn more about the mathimatical formulas that will be used in 3D Game Programming. So far, I have recapped on what I learned from high school, and will be making another purchase shortly.

I have made several small programs so far and am working on an overall text based RPG (very slowly). I am going over old code constantly and correcting mistakes and bad programming practices to make my code appear more solid.

Thats a lot to read, so in short - I would like make my own small Game Development Company eventually. This is something I intend to put several years of effort into.
That sounds like you are on a good way.
The best way to become a better programmer is quite simple ... write code, write code and some more code.
Of course it's alway a good idea to redo your old code but don't forget to finish games. Better have 10 simple games that you can actually play than one unfinished monster project.

As i haven't really worked with C++ on some serious project, i am sorry to say, that i cannot help you with more specific C++ advice.

What you need to learn and in what order? ... Write some games and you will find out for yourself where your limit is right now. Then find some solution to the problem. After that google for some best practise on it or ask here.
As a programmer you have to find a working solution. Nobody cares if it is fancy or some textbook example of a technique as long as it does the job.
I'm right there with you Dv02. I am currently reading "Beginning C++ through Game Programming 2E" and "Advanced C++". I'm programming the text based RPG game from the C++ workshop forum here (project 1). Trying to do it in the simplest C++ format I can now, then gonna go back recode it with new stuff I learn as I go. Once I get better handle of C++, gonna start looking into DirectX. Maybe we could help each other out if ya want.
Quote:Original post by Dv02
1. I want to make it a career.
2. I would like make my own small Game Development Company eventually.
3. This is something I intend to put several years of effort into.

1. Then you should read the FAQs at the Breaking In forum (Breaking Into the Game Industry). I'm not moving this thread there right now because it looks like you're mainly asking for programming information, and that belongs right here.
2. Then in addition to the Computer Science degree, you should consider getting an MBA. Or at least minoring in business.
3. Good.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

gamby - Thank you for referencing the workshop, I was unaware of it. I think I will look into that. Make sure to comment now, cause you wont understand it later ~_~

Tom Sloper - I am enrolled in community college, though I havent signed up for any classes yet. They do not offer a CS degree, but I think i will work on my math skills, then move to a university to finish up. And thank you for directing me to helpful information. Much appreciated.

Thank you for your input guys. It has been helpful!
You're welcome. Good luck & have fun.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement