Sign in to follow this  
Icefox

General-purpose mesh loader --where to go next?

Okay, so I'm working on the Meshomatic project (http://www.opentk.com/project/Meshomatic), which is hopefully going to be useful to someone out there as a general .NET mesh file loader. I actually bothered to get it into a usable state last weekend, and it successfully loads and textures .obj and .ms3d files and generally has an API that I'm okay with. However, I'm not really a guru in the field of 3d art and programming, so I ask those out there, what else should this library do? Collada file support was on the list of things I wanted at the beginning, but right now Meshomatic only loads geometry, while Collada can hold scene data, lighting, shaders, skeletons and so on. Would it still be worth it to only load geometry out of these? So... main feedback I suppose I'm looking for: 1. File formats. It loads .obj and Milkshape, what else would be most useful? Collada? Lightwave? 2. Features. Are materials worth loading? Most games I've seen use textures to define specularity and such, rather than materials. What about skeletons? Problem here is that, for instance, .obj does not include skeleton or animation data. So what's the common subset of features that most people want? It's rough in general because I either have to implement a million features slightly differently, or only implement some features that are most commonly shared, or try to find some vague middle ground in a field I'm not an expert in. It might honestly be best to remove any common format from the thing, and instead just have a collection of entirely separate loaders in one package. Thoughts?

The project looks nice and useful, especially since the Assimp binding for .net is still work in progress. I'll have a closer look when I have more time. As far es format support goes: the .3ds and .x formats are relatively widespread, as well as id software's .md*...