MicroTanks - feedback requested

Started by
6 comments, last by BlueMonkeyFlash 13 years, 11 months ago
I just finished up and released my second game "MicroTanks" http://www.kongregate.com/games/BlueMonkeyFlash/microtanks I'm looking for some real, honest, constructive feedback. This is only my second game, but I did put a lot more time and effort into it than the first one. Unfortunately, most of the players over at Kongregate haven't been providing anything constructive in their comments. Seems they just like to post for the sake of bashing. If you have anything you'd really suggest being done differently, could you please let me know? Thanks!
Advertisement
Tried it, and liked it.

I was playing on a slow computer with poor Flash support, so I won't comment on the responsiveness issue.

I read the comments - some good points made, although some of the comments seemed a little harsh :-| It's similar to some other games, of course, but as long as you're clear of any IP issues, that shouldn't be a problem. (I suppose there could be IP issues related to use of recognizable toy lines such as Lego, but IANAL.)

I like the look of the game, and it seems to play well. I agree with some of the Kongregate posters that some sort of checkpoint system (or maybe extra lives or something of that sort) would be nice. I also agree that the trumpet is a little jarring, especially if you're not expecting it :-|

Overall though, I liked it. Nice job :)
Kind of boring. The AI is really lacking since it doesn't do bouncing. You can just spam missiles out and kill the enemy and block all their bullets which is kind of cheap.

Nice graphics though and the tread effect was a nice touch.

Some suggestions would be to get rid of the bouncing bullets since the AI doesn't use that tactic which makes it way too easy. Or program the AI to use that tactic.
Forget about the AI and concentrate on multiplayer. games like this are usually most fun when played against others. so far the gameplay is really pretty dull. the graphics are very nice though, controls are good as well. didn't get past level 3..
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

blog.wunderwerk-engine.com
Thank you for your honest feedback.
To comment about the AI bouncing, some of the tanks actually do utilize the bounce, just not all of them. I forget which level that starts on though so perhaps you just didn't get there to see that.

What about this idea for the lives issue, since of course everyone will have a different thought about what they'd like to see. But what if we allowed 3 lives per level? So if you used up 2 of your lives completing a level, and advance to the next level, you'd start with 3 new lives again in order to continue? Maybe that would level the playing field a little bit?

Thanks.
I liked the game, graphics are very nice. :)

As mentioned before, the Ai isn't that great, but I would leave it like that.
Hi,

I liked this game very much! The idea of using these graphics is great, although a little rough. It's a bit of a shame of the AI, but you can still work on that. I do think however that you borrowed a bit too much from Wii's Tanks game. I wrote a small review on my website. Good job!

Nick
Thanks for the review, that was quite cool of you.

To comment on the lives system, just last night we published an update that has a FreePlay mode. It allows you to replay/continue any level that you have previously reached without a life limitation.
Figured that was pretty much needed after all of the scathing comments at Kongregate concerning the 3 lives.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement