Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2D Sprites in 3D Landscapes

This topic is 5964 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone here know of any resources (articles, links, source-code, etc) that discuss the use of 2D sprites in 3D landscapes? Especially when it comes to panning and rotating the camera? I note that many of the current RTS games use this technique (Myth II, Shogun:Total War), but I''ve yet to come across any sources describing or considering how this stuff is done. Regards, Strategy Imperium - Rise of Rome

Hmmm... Can''t point you to any articles but mind if I ask a few questions?

First, are you using OpenGL or DirectX? Next, what exactly do you want to do with it? If all you need is a simple Mario64-style tree then look up billboarding. Unfortunatly that method does not let you look at the sprite from directly above, but if thats what you want then you''re on your own!

I''m not being very helpful, am I?

-----------------------------

Vash the Stampede

"Love & Peace!"

We''re currently looking at using CrystalSpace, so either of (usually) OpenGL or CrystalSpace work fine. And the effect we''re looking at is to use animated 2D figure sprites simmilar to Myth and Shogun:Total War. My interest is whether, and how it is possible to make rotation around these 2D figures appear smooth without creating more than , say, 8 different viewing angles for the sprites.

Imperium - Rise of Rome

You could try to interpolate between angles using multi-texturing. That is, if you have a "0-degree texture" and a "90-degree texture" then, for 45 degrees, blend 50% of each, and, for 22.5 degrees, blend 75% 0-deg, and 25% 90-deg.

Get what I''m saying?

But I still think you''ll need several pre-rendered angles - at the very least 4, and probably 8.

Guest Anonymous Poster

quote:
Original post by TerranFury
You could try to interpolate between angles using multi-texturing. That is, if you have a "0-degree texture" and a "90-degree texture" then, for 45 degrees, blend 50% of each, and, for 22.5 degrees, blend 75% 0-deg, and 25% 90-deg.

Ugh. Have you ever actually tried/seen that? It looks nasty if you are not moving. I recommend at least 16 discreet angles; Interpolate between the images when the view is moving; Use one of the discreet images (no interpolation) when the view is still.