Diablo 3 graphics

Started by
12 comments, last by SimonForsman 13 years, 11 months ago
How do the Diablo 3 graphics work? it looks like a painting, How would I go about implementing something like this? Is there like an invisible collision mesh and just a picture on top? Also if I was to make something similar and have it online, would the collision be calculated fully on server side? for point and click Diablo 3
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by rgibson11
How would I go about implementing something like this?

Get some really, really talented artists. :)

(I don't think there is any particular technical trickery involved, just some very pretty textures and models. Throw in a couple of shader effects (texture blending, spells) and that's it.)
it looks like a painting,
Learn to paint. Paint nice textures. Put them into a terrain shader.
Quote:Also if I was to make something similar and have it online, would the collision be calculated fully on server side? for point and click
Probably not... but its irrelevant to the graphics anyway.
To further expound upon the OP's question of, "How do the Diablo 3 graphics work", for starters I have no clue, but I might guess that it starts with the same process used in any 2D games, where environmental tiles are used in conjunction with sprite graphics. However, in Diablo 3, it would appear that those sprites aren't mere sprites, but small scale 3D models.

So are we simply looking at 3D models in an isometric 2D view?
I would believe so. It looks that way in warcraft 3 and starcraft 2 as well.
Diablo 3 rules, Just make something a little less as good and your doing fine too... like i dont even mind flat shaded polys! at least it looks psychadelic!
Blizzard gave up 2D after Diablo 2 was done. Diablo 3 is a full 3D game. As a previous poster stated, there really isn't much in the way of obscure or tricky going on. I played D3 at Blizzcon, and while it looks fantastic, most of that comes from the talented art team as opposed to anything technically weird. Any Ogre game could achieve similar results, granted an equally skilled artistic staff.
How do the Diablo 3 graphics work? it looks like a painting,

Rocks, leaves, grass, flowers - stylized art, but regular hand-drawn textures. Perhaps helped by shader effects.

Quote:Is there like an invisible collision mesh and just a picture on top?

Technically no - it's not like Final Fantasy or similar. But the textures are likely to be rather large and specific - instead of tiling same generic_grass_1 hundreds of times, each level might be one big, manually drawn texture, specific to that level and tweaked for that setting.

Quote:Also if I was to make something similar and have it online, would the collision be calculated fully on server side? for point and click
Yes. No. Maybe. Depends. Does it matter?
Is there anything special about the painting thing? It's been the in thing for a few years now. When the bloom era died out, the 'hand painted' era started up.

GTA 4 does it very well.
From my first glance, I think it operates somewhat like cell shading. However, I could be wrong, all I know is that image made me want to play Diablo 1 and 2 through again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement