Sign in to follow this  
Burnhard

Compile for shader 1.1? Using fxc.exe

I was looking at fxc.exe to see if I could get it to compile to ps 1.1. From the /? listing, I can see the following profiles: <profile>: cs_4_0 cs_4_1 cs_5_0 ds_5_0 fx_2_0 fx_4_0 fx_4_1 fx_5_0 gs_4_0 gs_4_1 gs_5_0 hs_5_0 ps_2_0 ps_2_a ps_2_b ps_2_sw ps_3_0 ps_3_sw ps_4_0 ps_4_0_level_9_1 ps_4_0_level_9_3 ps_4_1 ps_5_0 tx_1_0 vs_1_1 vs_2_0 vs_2_a vs_2_sw vs_3_0 vs_3_sw vs_4_0 vs_4_0_level_9_1 vs_4_0_level_9_3 vs_4_1 vs_5_0 i.e. there's no ps_1_1 there at all. Is it totally unsupported now?

You can specify a flag to force using the legacy compiler, but no, the new shader compiler does not support ps 1.x targets, for several very good reasons. They added a lot of special casing to the compiler and hardly could be considered hardware accelerated anyway. Chances are good your end users will have at least a 2.0 capable card.

Ok, fair enough. I'll specify a 2.0 minimum then as 1 seems to have been the big experiment. I think the systems we shipped originally had GeForce 4 MX's in - obviously for older systems like that we should suggest a card upgrade (at least).

The GeForce 4 MX doesn't support pixel shaders at all, so if that's what you were aiming at, the limitation to PS 2.0 doesn't matter.