Need some Advice Please.

Started by
21 comments, last by MrFox 13 years, 11 months ago
The game allows Guilds to own and fight over land. Guilds can build cities and the NPC characters will be building cities as the game is progressing. City building is done through a RTS style menu system with building upgrades and additional buildings will become available as you add buildings and upgrade them. New weapons will be researched as your guild progresses as well. So pretty much it's a multi-player large scale RTS game with RPG elements.

So far Guilds are able to be created and theres a couple types of buildings that can be created.

So now based on that we need large amounts of land for Guilds to own and fight over. I have however decided to go back to the Island Idea and have different Islands that Guilds can own. That way I can use L3DT to create the different heightmaps for the islands.
In Development:Rise of Heros: MORPG - http:www.riseofheroesmmo.com
Advertisement
Ok took the advice from you guys and people over at Ogre3D's forum and I worked some on the Terrain. Here is a updated screenshot. Still no paths but looking much better I think!

New Screenshot!

Please let me know what you think!
Much better, but still kinda flat. Definitely needs detail texturing, too.
Here are a few more screenshots:

I still need to figure out how to have a extra detail map following the player around to give the ground texture more detail. I also need to add paths and other things around on the terrain to make it more interesting but I think it is starting to look good!
Looking better.

Tips

Try adjusting distribution of trees.
Not on steep slopes and more clusters (no uniform distribution)

Add lots of big rocks / boulders.
(rock distribution likes steep slopes)
(reference pics/videos of Fallout 3)

And if you still have problems with edges of world,
then you might try same trick what Oblivion used.
Create Low-Low-Polygon model of you continent/all
that player ever can see and show it as distant LOD.
(idea is that there is no nead for complex pageing & LODing,
just one constant distant LOD model, and paged detailed terrain near player)

Or you could try same techique from Shadow of the Colossus.
(Distant terrain is baked on fly to "skybox".)

Partialy transparent GUI elements are not good for usability.

/Tyrian
A few different grass meshes and several different grass textures would help, too.
Here are some new updated screenshots. The Castle takes advantage of a Diffuse map, Normal map, and Specular map for each of it's textures.

You're making progress, still there's a long way to go :-), so try to organise your tasks to improve the visuals. Here's one way to do it:

Best to take one aspect of visualization, do some research on the aspect and try to improve the visualisation of this aspect. Once you have made some progress, pickup the next aspect. You will need lot of iterations, but each iteration will look better.

Here's a list of aspects:
- GUI
- surfaces/materials
- water
- terrain
- animation
- vegetation
- sky
- lighting
- shadowing
- global illumination

Try to improve in each aspect once before starting the next iteration. For your first iteration I would guess that GUI, surfaces, water, terrain, animation,vegetation and sky has been improved. Still lighting and shadowing are not really recognizable.

Fast working speed, lots of free time? :)

Some words about lighting.

1. In your screen shots there is lot`s of contrast,
and I guess that is becouse there is no gamma correction in action.
(this is a bit advanced topic, but ones you get it right
there is no returning back to bad habits :D )

So try to activate sRGB framebuffer in your renderer, and take care that
in going textures end up in linear color space.

Use one directional light as sun, and set it`s color to very light yellow.
(90% white + 10% yellow, lights power about 0.8)

Try adding hemisphere ambient light. (might be better to check out from google)
mix(groundColor, skyColor, smoothstep(-1.0, 1.0, dot(normal,worldUp))) * lightPower
(good light power about 0.5)

/Tyrian

Ps: And while adjusting lights, force all materials to pure white lambert.
As for the castle, all the textures look good. Things to add include irregularities in the construction and a bump map.

Both of those are polish, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement