Need some Advice Please.

Started by
21 comments, last by MrFox 13 years, 11 months ago
I am looking for advice on how I can improve the over all quality of my visuals in my client. One thing some of you may say is to improve the quality of the water. The water is far from finished but is on the todo list just not the top of the list. Any advice on how to improve the water are also welcomed! Here are some example screenshots from the client. Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2 Thanks for taking the time to respond!
In Development:Rise of Heros: MORPG - http:www.riseofheroesmmo.com
Advertisement
First piece of advice: Finish it, then polish it.

As for the water, a decent solution is a water animation texture. Various programs are capable of generating that sort of thing. You tile it like it was terrain, maybe add a tile with a "small waves" animation...
For bigger things, fill out the world more. Make the trees leafier, smoother. Add differing tufts of grass around the place so it doesn't look so bland on the ground.

Also a big thing in the characters is detail. You have a good model and a great face texture, then the rest of the body seems to be made up of block colors. Give them actual clothes with the illusion of wrinkles, folds, etc.

Oh and make the water better :p
*Better/More tree models with random orientations.

*Terrain painting (not just one texture)

*More detailed terrain height mapping, small bumps and ridges, not just smooth rolling hills

*Environmental objects such as fences, rocks, debris..

*Shadows

*Characters in more than one animation pose

*Normal Maps

Other than that the lighting and stuff looks decent.
Also, for terrain, look up "Perlin Noise" - All the terrain you want and it's not too hard to implement - Given you've gone this far, "relatively easy" would better describe it.
For the Terrain I do use Perlin Noise. The Height maps are made using Libnoise. I am still playing around with it trying to get the best results.

Thanks every one for your comments. More insight into it would be greatly appreciated! I will update with newer screenshots as I go.
A repeating (Say, 64x64) "ground noise map" should roughen up the terrain nicely. And, with 64x64, it's unlikely a player would notice the repetition.
Stop using Perlin noise!
(No. perlin noise is NOT nice looking if
used with out mixing to something better!)

go to L3DT
play around with generator and export height+normal+skylight maps.

go to cgTextures
grap some big ground, sky and water textures and make them 2^n tiling textures.

Lights and fog are good. (add fake shadows (black circle under object is good))
Bloom level is ultra realistic! :P (yes I hate BLOOM!)

/Tyrian
I do have L3DT and I have used it some however I stopped using it because I couldn't make large enough terrains with it. Using libnoise I can make however large terrains I want with out worrying about the edges of the heightmaps lining up with each other.

The Only way I could use L3DT is if my world was based on Islands instead of one very large terrain mass.

EDIT: Also why get sky textures? The sky is the Caelum sky addon for Ogre3D. That means that the sky has a day/night cycle, moving cloud layer, weather effects, and more to it.
Quote:Original post by TyrianFin
Stop using Perlin noise!
(No. perlin noise is NOT nice looking if
used with out mixing to something better!)

Stop using random noise!

Are you making WoW? because that game's boring, and it has seemingly infinite random terrain. Don't be boring, put some detail on that sucker.

If you dont have fast vehicles there's no reason for silly rolling hills. Make a village. A map with buildings and roads painted on, creeks, plants, and lots of other props.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement