[java] Java and game programming

Started by
8 comments, last by Xingo 22 years, 8 months ago
I was working in a Multiplayer ONline Rpg in c++ but stopped very short. After i knew how much i had to lrean! Opengl, openal, winsocks andsome other crap. Then i rmebered about java. But I seem to have a problem! When I was learning c++, everything was clicking (except for windows crap), but with java i can look at it then try it on my own and then forget it. I know a game with 18 fps is ok. And i really want a very mini base rpg for online multiplayer. Now i know i can''t jump into it thats why i haved planned it! 1# Make a simple base chat sever and chat cleint 2# not sure after that becuase this is not c++ so if anyone can tell my its worth it or what else i can do after completing #number 1 i would really be thankful
A day will never come when I shall emit defeat
Advertisement
An online RPG can be a pretty complex animal, depending on what you want it to do and will require to have a good grasp of whatever language you want to write it in. I would recommend setting you sights a little lower and then moving on from there as you get more familiar with Java (assuming you are going that direction).

Sieggy
How much lower. i know i plan to make an offline rpg first and that alone is still a lot of work!. But till then i need to know how big of a step that its at! I know hello world, heh and i looked at some other stuff as so as reading the damn a java book and a little of java docs. i really want to get into java 2d but would i or can i just jump into java 2d with out knowing other things?
Xingo,

Try something very simple and easy to do, perhaps Tetris, Missile Command, or whatever. Java, like any other language, has its little quirks that you will have to become familiar with before you can fully understand the more complex pieces.

An online role playing game, depending on the scope, can be one the most complicated game you can write. You must juggle graphics, networking, and the massive data RPGs usually carry. To use an analogy you are trying to land on the Moon before you have even picked up a book on rocket science. Now, I''m making assumptions here on your skill level so I''m not trying to offend you here but I''d hate to see you drop the programming due to the inevitable frustration from trying too much at first.

Sieggy
Ok it''s a little off-topic,

but if you like to see what a on-line RPG can be like in Java (pure Java 1.1 run in a browser that is) then check out

www.runescape.com
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
felonius,

That looks pretty neat. Thx for the link.

Sieggy
Blah i played runescape. I liked it but thats what got me into java. Once i saw its power i was amased. Then that when i switch from c++ to java. But then again i switched from Qbasic to VB to c++ to pascal, to c++ to java and now i think i am gonna call it quits Maybe when i get older and get sometype of job or maney i could buy some book and instead of tring.And i liked you little moon part!. I just would reather do that.
im sorry but runescape is the cheapest game ive played in along time
I have to disagree runescape is probably one of the most ground breaking games I have played in a long time. If you take into account the scope of the game, that fact that it is completely rendered in 3d, and it was independantly developed by some one. The fact that it is 3d and runs in an applet quite smoothly 22 fps, should just be mind boggleing not to mention the JDBC aspect and the fact that it can be dynamically updated(and it is periodically). I think more games, not just java games, should take this approach.. Even though the game might not be what you are looking for doesn''t mean it is crap...
i took a look at runescape today and looks quite nice. haven''t played it so can''t make a real judgement. But from what i can tell it looks pretty damn good. If it runs fast as well i will crap my pants.

Xingo, it''s much quicker to start small and build up. It took me ages to do a simple pong. Well acutally it took me five mins. Most of the time I sat there brought up Notepad, and then thought, right i''m off to surf. Just a thought, how can i stop my self from doing that fs?
if you like programming, you like maths, you just don't know it yet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement