Sign in to follow this  
Wavinator

What's an RPG without the fashion show?

Wavinator    2017
I rarely notice the lack of costume variety in an RPG. In medieval RPGs that let you customize armor down to individual pieces I'm often wont to wear everything mismatching so long as it gives me proper bonuses whereas I know some players will sacrifice function and safety just to look good. Where do you fall in this continuum, and what would an RPG without the fashion have to offer to appeal to you?

krez    443
I'm personally all about the stats. I'll have my character wear the ugliest combination of a mishmashed armor for 0.1% bonus fire resistance or whatever. Sure I notice that it looks like crap, but since most games don't take into account fashion it doesn't matter as much as the bonus points. A lot of the time, it is just a matter of time before you get the rest of that better armor and match again anyway.

Some games give bonuses for "complete sets", which rewards matching and indirectly rewards having a good looking (or at least matching) outfit. Monster Hunter Tri does that, and it surprised me when I got a slightly better helmet (yay armor +2) just to find out I could no longer cook well or automatically track big monsters on the map. That game, however, allows you to install gems on your armor to regain those skills if you have mismatched armor (or other skills once you find the right components). (On a side note, I think it is cool I created a "BBQ Jewel"; I wish I had one of those in real life).

Something I haven't seen but could be done would be having NPCs react to characters wearing mismatched armor. This could be as harmless as them making snarky comments, or it could actually affect the player's ability to perform some actions. I always thought it would be neat if, after adventuring in the dungeons or whatever, the character would have to take a bath and change into some nice clothes if they expect to be able to wander the castle without being chased away; to attend some event with the nobles, you better have some REALLY nice threads stashed away somewhere. Maybe good fashion would open new avenues with some NPCs, while other underworld-y types might not trust someone with shiny matching armor.

sunandshadow    7426
If it's an MMO I'm all about the fashion show. One of my favorite MMO features is the ability to designate two sets of equipment, one for stats and one for looks. I also like being able to dye items different colors.

If it's a single player game one outfit is generally fine for the whole game.

BierbyteZ    115
When i play diablo 2 i dont really care about the fashion. I just want my stats!

But when i play mmorpg's i really like to customize my characters in a good looking way. I dont like it when my character has to wear armors making him a rainbow warrior or something like that.

I dont care if i loose a few stat points. If the Item looks good i buy it.

Trapper Zoid    1370
If the visual appeal of the character isn't an issue, either because there isn't much in the range of outfits available or the character representation isn't something that is that prevalent (i.e. text description only, ASCII, handful of pixels, only shown in the inventory), then I'll just throw together whatever has the best stats.

If however the character's appearance is a fairly prominent aspect of the game, like most third-person games these days, I'll make some sacrifices for looks. Typically I won't put dehumanising full face helms on my characters, and I won't choose outfits that drastically clash with the personality of an RPG character (i.e. female paladins don't wear chainmail bikinis). If there's any outfits that I think look significantly cooler than one that's only marginally better, I'll tend to stick with the cool looking one. There's also a tendency for inertia in costume choices; if I leave a particular outfit on a character for a while, it tends to stick.

But I don't mind if an RPG doesn't offer any fashion options. For me it's a bonus than a necessity. On the other hand, it does help in letting me define my character's personality visually. For that, I like it best when there's some purely cosmetic range of functionally equivalent or near-equivalent costumes.

pothb    102
The only thing that really got me into the fashion type was Ultima Online. It was so nice...

But there are other games where I sacrifice minimal stat difference for looks. Where there are ones that add +10 strength but looks hideous, and ones that add +8 strength AND looks awesome. Other than that, it's usually stats for me. Diablo 2 especially, since stats were so necessary and looks didn't change too much. Mass Effect 2 does a very good job of keeping you looking stylish and powerful (for the most part) but their lack of choices hurts... hurts a lot.

Most people will go to great lengths for wearing better looking armour or clothes, even if they are totally useless. This is a main incentive in many, and even the only incentive in some games.

I'm somewhere in the middle, I do want items to have some good functionality, but looks is equally important.

TyrianFin    122
kingdom / faction / clan uniforms?

Rarely used but perfectly valid point to use spesific costum.
(Enemy militia insignia can create all sorts of problems :D )

/Tyrian

Cpt Mothballs    100
I firmly believe in people being able to create their own appearance as much as possible.
I mean, roleplaying is all about player freedom, so it should remain that people will desire a certain appearance to fill a role.
Let the universe decide the rules, but let the player decide how they look.
Not every warrior has to have shoulder pads more jagged than a mountain peak.

TechnoGoth    2937
I do like the customization option in terms of look and stat bonus on equipment, but it is annoying sometimes if the cool looking piece of gear doesn’t fit your character build.

Probably the game with most interesting approach to outfits was Kingdom of Loathing, in which certain sets completely changed your appearance and would alter certain in game events and encounters. For instance you had dress in up
as a harem girl in order to gain access to one boss in the game.

http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Outfit

Quasimojo    279
Personally, while I do consider the aesthetics of what my character is wearing, it will always be secondary to the bonuses it offers (within reason - I won't don a tutu for a +1 AC). I tend to avoid theme-inconsistent adornment as well such as the chain-mail bikini that another poster mentioned.

LessBread    1415
Fashion plates! Remember the chatter from ten years ago about how to get girls involved in video games? Here's the answer.

Kwizatz    1392
I used to wear hideous combinations in UO in order to get max possible stats, it was a good thing robes would cover everything but your helmet/hat and cape, not to mention that the eyesore would attract criminals.

kseh    3841
It seems for me, when an RPG makes a number of outfits available I find myself wanting to collect them all. My sole purpose playing Morrowind was to collect shoes, clothes, and sets of armour. I have no idea what the actual game was supposed to be about.

sunandshadow    7426
Quote:
Original post by kseh
It seems for me, when an RPG makes a number of outfits available I find myself wanting to collect them all. My sole purpose playing Morrowind was to collect shoes, clothes, and sets of armour. I have no idea what the actual game was supposed to be about.

Yeah, I wanted to play Earth Eternal that way and was so frustrated that it's impossible to get enough storage space to do so. NeoPets, although kind of an absurd game in other ways, was fun because it allowed people to set up galleries of their collections (basically a store where items weren't actually for sale). I don't mind grinding for gold to expand storage, but a lot of MMOs have ridiculously small hard caps on storage, they don't seem to have any interest in encouraging players who have the urge to collect or show off their collections. I bet WoW players would love having a bestiary feature where others could see all their pets and mounts.

TechnoGoth    2937
Ya, players love collecting and showing off their collections to other players. I'm surprise most MMO don't have player museums where they can show off all their items and achievements to other players.

pothb    102
Quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
I used to wear hideous combinations in UO in order to get max possible stats, it was a good thing robes would cover everything but your helmet/hat and cape, not to mention that the eyesore would attract criminals.

Hah, That's the total opposite of me. I usually wear chain mail with plate arms and legs, gorget and either wiz hat or plate helm. One of the best looks imo. But I usually play on free shards since UO sort of got out of hand with it's updates.

Quote:
Original post by TechnoGoth
Ya, players love collecting and showing off their collections to other players. I'm surprise most MMO don't have player museums where they can show off all their items and achievements to other players.

While it's not the same, in many UO shards, free or not... Players usually get houses and set up their own museums. Some of my old UO friends had something rather crazy in that regard.

Diodor    517
Playing WoW I was much more insterested in fashion when playing a female human character than the male orc, collecting all sorts of gear 40 levels below mine just for looks, trying out the different hair styles and so on. It is pretty much impossible to compromise between looks and function when restricting my choices to usefull stuff eliminates 99% of possible gear types (not to mention high level gear usually comes with bonuses if using multiple items from the same set).

I don't think pushing in the direction where players can customize their appearence a great deal while still enjoying the best functionality they have earned is a very good idea either. When in battle I don't want to see other players' fashion statements but clues as to their class / strength / preferred magic.

It's not just clothes either. Mounts and pets are very sought after in WoW, and if it could be possible to win unique animated emotes, dance sequences, hair styles, laughter sequences I bet everyone would love that as much as I would. In fact, the one item I've lusted for in WoW even more than for the first mount disguises a player into a blood elf with access to all the race specific emotes. Laughing the blood elf laugh in Alliance cities - priceless. :D

sunandshadow    7426
Quote:
Original post by Diodor
I don't think pushing in the direction where players can customize their appearence a great deal while still enjoying the best functionality they have earned is a very good idea either. When in battle I don't want to see other players' fashion statements but clues as to their class / strength / preferred magic.

Information about other player's strengths could easily be communicated by some way other than clothing. In some games the type of weapon used is enough to communicate class, and some games put a class or element emblem by the player's name, as well as a level number, and possibly a faction emblem and level.