Sign in to follow this  
Lord Benevolence

Starcraft game ai

In starcraft; in addition to the tech tree; you need to consider:

Macro: The act of creating more miners to make more money; expanding to more bases to make more money; and then spending that money to make units to kill your opponent. Many human players strive to have under 300 minerals and gas at any given time (except for saving up for an expansion or something).

Micro: The act of moving your units during battle to extract maximum efficiency out of them. For instance; at the most basic level, in PvT; you need to have your zealots go in first to drag mines; to attack the tanks, followed by dragoons. If you have high templar in shuttles; you need to wait for the first round of tank fire to hit to drop them off and storm so that they don't get killed instantly. If you have zealots in shuttles; you need to move them over the tanks to drop them directly onto the tanks so that splash damage from other tanks destroy it. If you have arbiters, you need to attempt to stasis the tanks. Where you stasis depends on the game state - if you are attacking; you might want to stasis tanks in the back to prevent reinforcements from moving forward. If you are defending; you might want to stasis tanks in the front to prevent easy movement.

Strategy: You also need to be able to adapt to an opponent's movements during the game. You cannot go no-forge fast expand as protoss every game; simply because any sort of aggression will destroy it. However, when you can scout that there will be no early aggression; you can go no-forge fast expand. This concept also extends into the midgame; where you must be able to observe the opponent's army composition and counter it with one of your own. For example; if your opponent is going lurker-ling; an army of zealots will get completely destroyed. However, a combined force of dragoon/high templar (along with well placed storms) can and will destroy lurker-ling pretty easily.

So uh; yeah. Beyond simple tech-tree stuff; there is a lot of things to consider while writing a starcraft ai.

Based on what you have said, can I write only a part of the mentioned things above, such as I may just want to develop the AI to harvest mine's and gas, or i can just concentrate on developing the AI's maximum unit efficiency usage during battle or just the tactics and strategy.?