Sign in to follow this  
Moriquendi

Publishing platform game

Hey guys. I've just finished my platform game. I have publisher here - in Poland that will publish it in four countrys in Europe. But I also want to publish it abroad. But I have no idea where to search for publishers for game like that. Can someone give some address to the publishers that would be interested in it. Here are some screens of my game http://www.gamedev.pl/screens/35169f4d85eb91e6f0716790840d17c1.jpg http://www.gamedev.pl/screens/871b035389e620f4a55018d8acf6979d.jpg http://www.gamedev.pl/screens/3cc06d88039aa85f390ce451c3621aa9.jpg http://www.gamedev.pl/screens/9680ced5bb8b2bb12c97cee90884177c.jpg Guys! Help me! ;)

Quote:
Original post by Moriquendi
Yea, but it searchs for big publishers... I don't think they would want to publish simply platform game.

Search deeper. Come on! You want to go into business, but you're not willing to work to get there? You have to try harder than a 1-minute look at a Google page. Give it two hours AT LEAST.

Quote:
Why not to learn from others? ; )

You're not doing yourself any favours with answers like that... Also, hope you don't mind me asking, but is the artwork for the panda unique? The reason I ask is I'm sure I've seen that artwork before. :S

Quote:
Original post by NewBreed
Quote:
Why not to learn from others? ; )

You're not doing yourself any favours with answers like that... Also, hope you don't mind me asking, but is the artwork for the panda unique? The reason I ask is I'm sure I've seen that artwork before. :S

That was a sarcasm...
Yep, graphic is unique.

Quote:
That was a sarcasm...

Yes NewBreed knew that, as do the rest of us. Being sarcastic discourages people from helping you.

[Edited by - Obscure on May 3, 2010 5:39:06 PM]

Sorry for ressurecting this 2 months old topic, but I'm in the same dilemma.
The difference is I'm looking for answers for more than 1 week.

I've a platform game too, but more simple, few stages, simple graphics and sounds.
It'll be a $0.99 USD game.

The guys at Steam said it doesn't suit the service.
Xbox Live Indie Games is out of reach cuz they don't support my country.
Portals only accept Flash games.

I'm out of options!

I'm still gonna try iPhone Appstore, I'm not sure if I can port my SDL/OpenGL game to iPhone's SDK.
My last option is self-publishing.

Do you guys know some more options?
Thanks!

Some screenshots (I'm still changing some sprites):

This isn't exactly a publisher, but have you heard of the Pandora Console? (http://www.open-pandora.org/) It's about to be released, and it's going to have an app store and simple packaging system that should make it fairly easy to self-publish for it without paying for any kind of SDK or developer license. A simple platforming game seems like it would be perfect for the Pandora.

No offense but the game needs to be much more polished if you wanted Steam to take you more seriously. Looks like a GameMaker title to me, which is fine but if you wanted to sell it for any amount of money you'd need some better sprites and something more than just following one of the many platform tutorials. Not a bad start, keep at it! :)

Best way to find publishers:

* Go to the market that you want to publish for
* Find some titles being sold on that market
* Look at who their publishers are

If you want your game sold in GameStop, then go to GameStop and look on the back of the cases. And so on.

Honestly though, my sincere advice to you is to try to do it without a publisher if you can. They don't have your best interests in heart. If you can get by without them, I would highly recommend trying to figure out a way to make that work. I've seen and heard of many developers raked over the coals and not even compensated for their work.

Quote:

This isn't exactly a publisher, but have you heard of the Pandora Console?

Hell yeah!
I'm saving money to buy one, but I don't think the "retail" version will come out any sooner.

Quote:

No offense but the game needs to be much more polished if you wanted Steam to take you more seriously. Looks like a GameMaker title to me, which is fine but if you wanted to sell it for any amount of money you'd need some better sprites and something more than just following one of the many platform tutorials. Not a bad start, keep at it! :)

Nah, you're right, it has crap graphics (even working hard to do it better), that's why it'd be a $ 0.99 game, targeting casual gamers.

Quote:

Honestly though, my sincere advice to you is to try to do it without a publisher if you can.

That's actually what I'm doing.
The game is finished, and the main problem is coding a DRM system.
Marketing wouldn't be much of a problem cuz I have some friends helping (I mean friends that actually work on marketing plus some other with lots of money).
I'm trying to make the site to be open to casual PC game developers (mainly cuz some of those friends I said are finishing their casual games).

It's hard to be coding everything alone, but in the end only I can do this part of the bargain (and it's an one-time creation for the site and the DRM system).