Sign in to follow this  
vivendi

Blur effect on a mesh

vivendi    123
There are alot of shaders to create a blur effect on the entire screen. I just want to apply the blur to a few meshes in my world. Anyone here knows what shader i need for that??

vivendi    123
Can you be more specific? What kind of blur effect? Motion blur?

Sorry, no not motion blur. I'll try to explain what i'm trying to do.

I have a small plane in my scene with a texture on it. This looks like it's a portal to another 'world'. But to give the portal a more mysterious look i want to add a random blur effect to it, like in this video:

http://www.xfire.com/video/2966e0/

Sudi    761
todo that you have to render the scene to a rendertarget first and then when rendering again with the portal you apply the scene texture to it with a disortion shader.

vivendi    123
Quote:
Original post by Sudi
todo that you have to render the scene to a rendertarget first and then when rendering again with the portal you apply the scene texture to it with a disortion shader.

Hmm, i'm not really getting that. I thought rendering to a rendertarget is Post Processing. So it already has rendered the entire screen, right?
I don't see how i can apply a blur to that specific area where my mesh is located on the screen...

Sudi    761
ok listen:
lets say you render your scene in different chains. first solid objects than transparent objects. so you just rendered all your solid objects with shaders and everything to a rendertarget.
Now you render all your trasparent objects to another rendertarget with the same depthbuffer. now when rendering your portal you apply your scenetexture which has all the solid materials in it and apply a disortion shader. of course this leaves makes all transparent objects dissappear in the portal but well you could add a third renderpass just for your portal. anyway now you conbine the two rendertargets and draw them to the screen.(in case doing the extra renderpass you would have to combine either three or also just two when doing solid and transparent on the same rtt).