is it possible to read a pixel from a render target?

Started by
11 comments, last by ET3D 13 years, 10 months ago
I thought it wasn't but I have doubts now. Is this possible? If it is how efficent it is?
taytay
Advertisement
Yes you can, for Direct3D9 you need to call Lock() on an IDirect3DSurface9* which gives you a pointer to the memory. Then, depending on the format of the surface, you look 'into' the memory at the correct location using the returned pointer.
wow, I was rendering on textures by locking it and changing it pixel by pixel and it decreases can cause fps drops for large paintings. I thought locking render targets was impossible (don't know why, I probably read something like that or misunderstand something).

my projects requires reading from textures so I thought render targets is not an option :/
taytay
It's not as cut and dried as locking and unlocking will be slow, it depends how the resources you are locking and unlocking have been created. I.e, where they lay in memory, usage etc. May i ask why you are rendering to the textures using so much locking? It sounds fishy.
Quote:Original post by Dave
It's not as cut and dried as locking and unlocking will be slow, it depends how the resources you are locking and unlocking have been created. I.e, where they lay in memory, usage etc. May i ask why you are rendering to the textures using so much locking? It sounds fishy.

because I didn't know render targets are lockable. I am pretty sure I read something like that somewhere. I will use render targets for rendering on textures now.

I am implementing a painting system in my project, you can paint the terrain using your paint gun. but it also requires if I am stepping on paint or not so I must be able to read from my texture too.

microsoft says that (link

"Textures placed in the D3DPOOL_DEFAULT pool cannot be locked unless they are dynamic textures or they are private, FOURCC, driver formats"

render targets requires D3DPOOL_DEFAULT. I guess FOURCC is A8R8G8B8 format? so I can lock a A8R8G8B8 format even if it is a render target.

and also if I use texture as a render target, it should not cost too much right? at least much less than locking the texture and rendering on it. while reading I am locking the texture and reading a single pixel. this shouldn't be also become a problem if I specify my dirty rect as 1 pixel and make locking read only right?
taytay
You can use GetRenderTargtetData() to read it with the CPU.
A FOURCC format is a format defined by four letters, such as 'ATIC'.

You can create lockable render targets using CreateRenderTarget. However far as I remember you can't create textures which are render targets and lockable.

You can go the GetRenderTargetData way, but I'd suggest that you try to do everything on the graphics card. For example, drawing on the texture by rendering onto it instead of locking and changing the data. I didn't understand what you need to change if you're "stepping on paint", so can't say how difficult this might be to implement.
Quote:Original post by Adam_42
You can use GetRenderTargtetData() to read it with the CPU.

Quote:Original post by ET3D
A FOURCC format is a format defined by four letters, such as 'ATIC'.

You can create lockable render targets using CreateRenderTarget. However far as I remember you can't create textures which are render targets and lockable.

You can go the GetRenderTargetData way, but I'd suggest that you try to do everything on the graphics card. For example, drawing on the texture by rendering onto it instead of locking and changing the data. I didn't understand what you need to change if you're "stepping on paint", so can't say how difficult this might be to implement.

Thanks for replies.

I will try to use render targets and GPU for rendering on textures and GetRenderTargetData for reading from it. Can you explain how should I use GetRenderTargetData? Do I need two textures now? One for render target and another one using as a surface in GetRenderTargetData method? I will render on render target and after rendering call GetRenderTargetData using these two as input and read from surface?

And also sorry about my English, it is not my native language. I couldn't explained well why I need this.

In my game (it is called Pigment btw :D) players can paint the terrain with their team colors using paint guns. There are two teams (blue and red), both are trying to capture a flag and retrieve it to base. But they can move the flag if they are standing on their team colored terrain.

Like in this example, red player can move freely in red ground (which is painted by him) but when he leaves the red area he drops the flag.

For that I need to be able to both read and write on textures (each model has a texture for storing painted areas).
taytay
you need a surface in D3DPOOL_DEFAULT to render to and another one in D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM to copy the render target data to and lock.

void createRenderTarget(D3DFORMAT format, int width, int height = 0, bool lockable = false){	device->CreateTexture(width, height, 1, D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, format, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &tex, NULL);	tex->GetSurfaceLevel(0, &surface_rt);	if(lockable)	{		device->CreateOffscreenPlainSurface(width, height, format, D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM, &surface, NULL);	}}void fetchData(){	device->GetRenderTargetData(surface_rt, surface);}template<class T>void lock(RECT *rect, DWORD flags){	surface->LockRect( &lr, rect, flags);	bits = (T*)lr.pBits;}void unlock(){	surface->UnlockRect();}
Is there a reason why you need to be using the GPU for this sort of calculation? Why are you not creating a separate buffer in regular system memory and working off that? Depending on the number of teams you could probably get away with a big array of bytes (i.e. one byte per 'texel') and avoid the massive hassle of lockable render target support, (which varies from card to card, btw) video memory transfers, etc. You're placing a lot of unnecessary constraints on your implementation, methinks :)
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement