Python.

Started by
6 comments, last by Psych0 P3ngu1n 13 years, 11 months ago
Is there a free version of Python available for download? If so, where can I find it?
Advertisement
Really?
ya, my school computer doesn't allow a lot of web sites. So I wasn't able to find it, so I thought I'd ask.
Use an anti-filter site.
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600, 2.4 GHz. 3GB RAM. ATI Radeon HD 3400.
Download PythonThe current production versions are Python 2.6.5 and Python 3.1.2.Start with one of these versions for learning Python or if you want the most stability; they're both considered stable production releases.If you don't know which version to use, start with Python 2.6.5; more existing third party software is compatible with Python 2 than Python 3 right now.For the MD5 checksums and OpenPGP signatures, look at the detailed Python 2.6.5 page:•Python 2.6.5 Windows installer (Windows binary -- does not include source)•Python 2.6.5 Windows X86-64 installer (Windows AMD64 / Intel 64 / X86-64 binary [1] -- does not include source)•Python 2.6.5 Mac OS X Installer Disk Image (for Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.6)•Python 2.6.5 compressed source tarball (for Linux, Unix or OS X)•Python 2.6.5 bzipped source tarball (for Linux, Unix or OS X, more compressed)Also look at the detailed Python 3.1.2 page:•Python 3.1.2 Windows x86 MSI Installer (Windows binary -- does not include source)•Python 3.1.2 Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (Windows AMD64 / Intel 64 / X86-64 binary [1] -- does not include source)•Python 3.1.2 Mac OS X Installer Disk Image (for Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.6)•Python 3.1.2 compressed source tarball (for Linux, Unix or OS X)•Python 3.1.2 bzipped source tarball (for Linux, Unix or OS X, more compressed)There is also a preview release of Python 2.7 available.A comprehensive list of all released versions is available if you need source code for an older version of Python.Other parties have re-packaged Python. These re-packagings often include more libraries or are specialized for a particular application:•ActiveState ActivePython (not open source)•Enthought Python Distribution (a commercial distribution for scientific computing)•Portable Python (Python and add-on packages configured to run off a portable device)•PyIMSL Studio (a commercial distribution for numerical analysis – free for non-commercial use)

which is best version to get? i dont know. Help please?
Quote:If you don't know which version to use, start with Python 2.6.5;
Reading helps...
Get Python 2.6.5, as suggested by that chunk of text you've pasted.

...and in an attempt to guess your next probable question, you can find a good set of documentation on the Python website to help you get started, as well as the freely available How To Think Like A Computer Scientist: Learning With Python.

- Jason Astle-Adams

alright thanks, but my last question was just to get an idea of what most people like to use or people think is the best version. But thanks for the answer and other links

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement