• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Maxamor

SDL Palette Swapping / Cycling

This topic is 2967 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on an NES-style game (a Mega Man clone) and am looking for a way to cycle the colors of the player when he charges up his weapon (like was possible in Mega Man 4, 5, 6, etc.). Currently my game uses 32-bit surfaces. From what I understand it would be inefficient to actually cycle colors of surfaces in 32-bit mode. (Is this incorrect/a misconception?) In reading about palette-based surfaces, the SDL documentation talks about surfaces having a logical and a physical palette and gives a brief description about each. I have to admit that the explanation is a little too brief for me and I can't make sense of it. Does anyone have any information or sample code working with palette-based surfaces in SDL?

Advertisement
Paletted 8-bit modes should be deprecated in SDL. They are so broken that I've never gotten the palette-cycling function to work in a window. It's strictly full-screen and I think it never works on Windows the OS either. It did work on the older Linux version I tried it on though.

You could try making a mask and using per-surface alpha-blending to try to overlay colors on your player instead. That's about the only solution I can think of short of writing a palette shader in OpenGL's GLSL.

Good to know. I kind of have that feeling, too.

I have my palette-swapping code working somewhat (even in a window, on Windows) but I'm still a bit confused as to utilize the logical and physical palettes effectively.

I had given some consideration to swapping out my SDL-based drawing code and switching to using OpenGL. Problem is I haven't been able to find a good beginner resource for OpenGL that uses the non-deprecated API.

I'm actually very interested in learning how to accomplish this using shaders, and I'm going to research a bit more to see what's involved.

A problem with a palette simulation shader is that it requires the whole screen to be paletted to work properly. For a MegaMan clone that should be a given since all of the Nintendo 8-bit games never exceeded 56 or so colors.

The biggest problem I've run into with OpenGL is trying to find a screenmode that will use 8-bit colors in its pixel-buffers. The only suggestions I've heard is to use a 32-bit screenmode with 24-bits unused and use the red channel as the source for the shader and use it to do a CLUT (that's Color Look-Up Table) operation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!