Sign in to follow this  
Valderman

[.net] Starting out with F# - good tutorials/articles

Valderman    513
I'm starting out with F# and trying to find some good articles or tutorials for newcomers to the language. I'm already quite familiar with functional programming via Haskell, having written among other things a few simple compilers and a monadic EDSL for building visual novel-type games with it, so no further information on functional concepts are necessary (though I suspect any beginners resources on F# will include that anyway.) Something like Real World Haskell or Learn You Some Erlang would be ideal, but judging for the Google results there seems to be a real shortage on introductory resources for us who are too cheap to buy a book. So, any tips?

SamLowry    1865
There's this book which I bought. It's not up to date, the language has undergone a few changes, so you might have to use some auxiliary sources to find how it all works in the latest version of F#. But it'll get you started.

Valderman    513
Thanks for the tips; unfortunately I'm not going to be able to afford any books for the forseeable future (course litterature and living expenses is enough of a strain on my economy at the moment) but I'll keep those in mind.

Is it really the case though that there aren't any good free resources on F#?

Nypyren    12074
I just use MSDN. I also have the 'Expert F#' book but I found that it doesn't really fit with the way I learn languages.

F# on MSDN

Also, most of the F# team at Microsoft have pretty interesting F# articles on their blogs.

[Edited by - Nypyren on May 8, 2010 2:45:08 PM]