• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Valderman

[.net] Starting out with F# - good tutorials/articles

This topic is 3118 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm starting out with F# and trying to find some good articles or tutorials for newcomers to the language. I'm already quite familiar with functional programming via Haskell, having written among other things a few simple compilers and a monadic EDSL for building visual novel-type games with it, so no further information on functional concepts are necessary (though I suspect any beginners resources on F# will include that anyway.) Something like Real World Haskell or Learn You Some Erlang would be ideal, but judging for the Google results there seems to be a real shortage on introductory resources for us who are too cheap to buy a book. So, any tips?

Advertisement
There's this book which I bought. It's not up to date, the language has undergone a few changes, so you might have to use some auxiliary sources to find how it all works in the latest version of F#. But it'll get you started.

Thanks for the tips; unfortunately I'm not going to be able to afford any books for the forseeable future (course litterature and living expenses is enough of a strain on my economy at the moment) but I'll keep those in mind.

Is it really the case though that there aren't any good free resources on F#?

I just use MSDN. I also have the 'Expert F#' book but I found that it doesn't really fit with the way I learn languages.

F# on MSDN

Also, most of the F# team at Microsoft have pretty interesting F# articles on their blogs.

[Edited by - Nypyren on May 8, 2010 2:45:08 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!