Sign in to follow this  
plywood

Which MySql tool to use

plywood    103
I need to download MySql to simply connect to an existing database (stored on a web server for which I have credentials) and to run scripts on it. I've always used MS SQL Server, and so I am new to MySql. After spending some 20 mins prodding around on MySql's website, and googling, I still can't seem to figure out which MySql tool to download here. There are four main products: (1) MySql Server (2) MySql Cluster (3) MySql Workbench (4) MySql Connections Based off what I was able to find, I figured MySql Workbench was the best tool to get the job done. They market it as a "GUI Tool" for database connectivity, which seemed to be all I needed. I figured MySqlServer probably did everything the Workbench does, but might be overkill. Workbench looked lightweight. I just downloaded/installed the Workbench, and it allows me to define/test connections the remote database, but I can't figure out how to *open* said connection and start running queries. And believe me, this is NOT a RTFM situation! I have been pouring over the docs and I have come to the belief that Workbench is more for visually designing databases, which I have no interest in. So.... If I can connect to a remote database and type in/execute queries in Workbench, please tell me how (really!). No menu options or client controls seem to indicate that it has this functionality. If I can't, then please tell me what tool I need to get the job done - I can't afford to download all four systems in search of the right functionality. All I need to do is to be able to: (1) Define connection string (2) Open a connection to the database (3) Run scripts *** Not interested in phpAdmin *** It is buggy and slow for what I need to do. Thanks for any feedback, ~ply

plywood    103
According to http://www.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/, Workbench is the replacement for the Query Browser...

On one hand, I see some indication that I have the right tool... but on the other, I see no evidence of it in the software/helpdocs.

jtagge75    139
We tried using the Workbench at work and ran into the same problem. There doesn't seem any way to run queries on it. We went back to the Query Browser. There doesn't seem to be an active download to it anymore. So I guess somewhere in Workbench there is an option to run queries.

plywood    103
jtagge75,

Thank you for confirming I am not losing my mind, but...

What in the Sam H*ll is going on?!?!

MySql is one of the *major* RDBMS systems....

How could it be that running queries (the first and most basic function of any RDBMS) has become so... obfuscated?

Something is very, very wrong here.

I thought I was just overlooking something, but if:
(1) MySql Query Browser has been archived/deprecated; and
(2) MySql Workbench, it's successor, either doesn't support SQL scripting or makes it terribly difficult to figure out how to run scripts

If this is the case it would be like Microsoft replacing Word with something new, like Microsoft Workbench. Then, inside the Workbench, you don't handwrite your documents, you construct them visually.

This is ridiculous. I am *stunned* that this was not a "30-second-response-post" alongside a reply that made me feel stupid for even asking it in the first place.

Antheus    2409
Quote:
Original post by plywood

How could it be that running queries (the first and most basic function of any RDBMS) has become so... obfuscated?

MySQL server comes with command line tool (mysqladmin).

Most of xAMP servers use phpMyAdmin for web access.

One must *NEVER* *EVER* connect remotely to SQL database. It is the 101 of security. For this reason, on LAMP server one does ssh to the sql database and operates from there (see command line) or uses web browser which uses PHP as proxy.

Quote:
All I need to do is to be able to:
(1) Define connection string
(2) Open a connection to the database
(3) Run scripts

Use PHP? Or C application. Or something.

There are a lot of security and hosting related issues. The tools above are generic ones, everything else is done via custom apps.

plywood    103
Quote:
Original post by Antheus
One must *NEVER* *EVER* connect remotely to SQL database. It is the 101 of security. For this reason, on LAMP server one does ssh to the sql database and operates from there (see command line) or uses web browser which uses PHP as proxy.

Why? And thanks for everyone's reply.

plywood    103
Quote:
Original post by Antheus
MySQL server comes with command line tool (mysqladmin).

I assume that MySql Community Server is the same as MySql Server?

stonemetal    288
Did you get the 5.2.20 version? After it opens and you double click on the connection(or first set up a connection then double click on it) you want to use it goes to an interface that looks almost exactly like the query browser.

The community version is the GPL licensed version.

plywood    103
Stonemetal,

I'm on Windows. MySql only provides 5.1.18a as the latest version on its site. And, in that version, after I define the connection string there is no way to do what you described. It seems to be "visual-only" (i.e. designing tables and E/R models and generating the respective SQL).

How'd you get 5.2.20? What's your secret?!?

plywood    103
Antheus,

I just downloaded MySql Community Server, and of the three tools it comes with, MySql Command Line Client is the only one that allows you to run SQL scripts.

This is bonkers. MS SQL Server has a nice s*xy UI that allows you to connect to and run scripts on a DB.

Even if you're dead-set against remote connectivity, what MS SQL Server-like tool does MySql offer, and what is the link for it?!?

I have to ask for the link because trying to get the mysqladmin binary has led me in a lot of directions that all lead to the Land of Overkill.

stonemetal    288
On the download page where it says 5.1.18 in big bold letters just above that I see two tabs one says GA releases the other says Development releases. click on development releases.

[Edited by - stonemetal on May 6, 2010 7:47:32 AM]

Antheus    2409
Quote:
This is bonkers. MS SQL Server has a nice s*xy UI that allows you to connect to and run scripts on a DB.

You get what you pay for...

Quote:
I just downloaded MySql Community Server, and of the three tools it comes with, MySql Command Line Client is the only one that allows you to run SQL scripts.

Put your SQL queries in a some file, perhaps q.sql.

Run:
mysql -u username -h hostname -p < q.sql

hostname is likely localhost.
mysql.exe is located in /bin directory of server installation.