Which MySql tool to use

Started by
13 comments, last by Antheus 13 years, 11 months ago
I need to download MySql to simply connect to an existing database (stored on a web server for which I have credentials) and to run scripts on it. I've always used MS SQL Server, and so I am new to MySql. After spending some 20 mins prodding around on MySql's website, and googling, I still can't seem to figure out which MySql tool to download here. There are four main products: (1) MySql Server (2) MySql Cluster (3) MySql Workbench (4) MySql Connections Based off what I was able to find, I figured MySql Workbench was the best tool to get the job done. They market it as a "GUI Tool" for database connectivity, which seemed to be all I needed. I figured MySqlServer probably did everything the Workbench does, but might be overkill. Workbench looked lightweight. I just downloaded/installed the Workbench, and it allows me to define/test connections the remote database, but I can't figure out how to *open* said connection and start running queries. And believe me, this is NOT a RTFM situation! I have been pouring over the docs and I have come to the belief that Workbench is more for visually designing databases, which I have no interest in. So.... If I can connect to a remote database and type in/execute queries in Workbench, please tell me how (really!). No menu options or client controls seem to indicate that it has this functionality. If I can't, then please tell me what tool I need to get the job done - I can't afford to download all four systems in search of the right functionality. All I need to do is to be able to: (1) Define connection string (2) Open a connection to the database (3) Run scripts *** Not interested in phpAdmin *** It is buggy and slow for what I need to do. Thanks for any feedback, ~ply
Advertisement
If all you want is to execute queries and scripts I think you can do that all with the MySQL Query browser. I forget the download site though.
According to http://www.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/, Workbench is the replacement for the Query Browser...

On one hand, I see some indication that I have the right tool... but on the other, I see no evidence of it in the software/helpdocs.
We tried using the Workbench at work and ran into the same problem. There doesn't seem any way to run queries on it. We went back to the Query Browser. There doesn't seem to be an active download to it anymore. So I guess somewhere in Workbench there is an option to run queries.
jtagge75,

Thank you for confirming I am not losing my mind, but...

What in the Sam H*ll is going on?!?!

MySql is one of the *major* RDBMS systems....

How could it be that running queries (the first and most basic function of any RDBMS) has become so... obfuscated?

Something is very, very wrong here.

I thought I was just overlooking something, but if:
(1) MySql Query Browser has been archived/deprecated; and
(2) MySql Workbench, it's successor, either doesn't support SQL scripting or makes it terribly difficult to figure out how to run scripts

If this is the case it would be like Microsoft replacing Word with something new, like Microsoft Workbench. Then, inside the Workbench, you don't handwrite your documents, you construct them visually.

This is ridiculous. I am *stunned* that this was not a "30-second-response-post" alongside a reply that made me feel stupid for even asking it in the first place.
Quote:Original post by plywood

How could it be that running queries (the first and most basic function of any RDBMS) has become so... obfuscated?

MySQL server comes with command line tool (mysqladmin).

Most of xAMP servers use phpMyAdmin for web access.

One must *NEVER* *EVER* connect remotely to SQL database. It is the 101 of security. For this reason, on LAMP server one does ssh to the sql database and operates from there (see command line) or uses web browser which uses PHP as proxy.

Quote:All I need to do is to be able to:
(1) Define connection string
(2) Open a connection to the database
(3) Run scripts

Use PHP? Or C application. Or something.

There are a lot of security and hosting related issues. The tools above are generic ones, everything else is done via custom apps.
Check if you're able to SSH to the web server from where you should be able to launch the MySQL console and interact with the database(s), including executing queries etc.
Progress is born from the opportunity to make mistakes.

My prize winning Connect 4 AI looks one move ahead, can you beat it? @nickstadb
Have you tried SQLyog? I last used it I think 4 years ago but I seem to remember it being relatively simple to use.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
One must *NEVER* *EVER* connect remotely to SQL database. It is the 101 of security. For this reason, on LAMP server one does ssh to the sql database and operates from there (see command line) or uses web browser which uses PHP as proxy.

Why? And thanks for everyone's reply.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
MySQL server comes with command line tool (mysqladmin).

I assume that MySql Community Server is the same as MySql Server?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement