A little bit tired...

Started by
9 comments, last by MrFox 13 years, 11 months ago
Someone recently noted the difference between "programming" and "development". The first, he said, is "doing C++". The second, by his criteria, is the act of "creating something".

If you are competent enough at C++ that you no longer need to focus so much on its intricacies and can instead focus on what you're trying to create, perhaps you'll find the feeling of burn start to fade.

Many many people, me included, get a real buzz out of creating something, a game, an app, whatever, and see C++/C#/Objective-C as merely a vehicle. Not long back I wrote a version of Boulderdash on my iPhone, from scratch, the sole aim to create something that was mine. I didn't have to worry about the design, the graphics or the sound (all came straight from the c64 version), I just needed to give it a heart, and make it feel absolutely right.

It was a real labour of love that turned out perfectly, and the sort of "work" that I would find very hard to burn out on.

So maybe just go ahead and make something. Create something from scratch. Put together a simple design and build it from top to bottom. Have an end-game picture of what you want it to be, and just go for it. It's a great feeling to sign off your very own creation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement