Sign in to follow this  
ishkabible

3D accelerated .swf player

ishkabible    100
so im posting this cuz i don't know where else to post it. i was wondering if there is a way to play AS2 .swf files with say OpenGL or DirectX to give real hardware acceleration. ideally in my head it would work by say using a library for OpenGL and then you would make an application that would just simply Open the SWF file.

Palidine    1315
Scaleform does this and is a pretty common industry solution for flash integration into games: http://www.scaleform.com/

But it's pretty expensive. I do not know of any freely available tools that provide this. I would be surprised if adobe's player didn't do something similar.

-me

ishkabible    100
well i checked on Flash Player 10 3D acceleration but it's not really accelerated. just some resizing to full screen stuff and some other minor improvements to raw cpu usage. I wanted it because it would allow me to make games(super easily)in CS3 or flash 8 but with amazing performance. you would however forfeit browser capability when you gained 3D acceleration. i guess you could use OGL with Java to make a completely cross platform browser based application that could play an SWF file with better performance, but by the point why not just replicate the game OpenGL.

johnhattan    2346
Yeah, Flash is pretty-much a 2D animal. There are some reasonable 3D solutions out there, like Papervision, but they're software-only renderers and are limited as such.

If you're looking for real hardware accelerated 3D in a browser, you should probably look at Unity.