Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sk-Tech

Beginner in need of help (there's one on every site)

Beginner in need of help here, I recently down loaded the free delphi personal I would like to try and code an open-gl engine some what like the one that the legendary Grimfandango utilizes. There is just so much information out there jedi-this-Delphi x -that- direct x-Open gl-Undelphi x. It really is confusing I have no coding esperance at all, I do not expect a miracle over night by any means I keep hearing about Delphi x but when I try to find it the download link is always broken- ( such as on Turbos Delphi Site) Do I need J.e.d.i. ?- If some one could please tell me what components I need to get started it would be greatly appreciated

I would highly recommend getting some programmings skills first (as you mention have no experience at all). A 3D engine is a huge under-taking for an individual. Just to get started you'll need a general understanding of programming concepts, a decent knowledge of Delphi itself (or another language), and a solid mathematical background (Linear Algebra & Calculus). And if you plan to use OpenGL you'll need to learn that too. Expect to do a lot of reading in the near future...

Jedi is a group who has graced the borland community with converted headers (mostly from C) for Delphi and Kylix. Both the latest versions of DirectX and OpenGL are covered.

Take a look here:
http://delphi-jedi.org/delphigraphics/jedi-index.htm

DelphiX and UnDelphiX are a set of headers and controls for using DirectX under Delphi, so if you plan on using OpenGL you don't have to worry too much about what they are and how to use them. (Note: UnDelphiX is a modified version of DelphiX that uses the Jedi headers).

You can download both here:
http://turbo.gamedev.net/undelphix.asp

Hope that helps a little...

Edited by - Xorcist on August 9, 2001 8:28:20 PM