Please help in fleshing out setting (long)

Started by
12 comments, last by Sean99 22 years, 7 months ago
For a person who considers himself not a writer , this appears to be well thought out . Just dont make it another Black and white.
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Advertisement
quote:For a person who considers himself not a writer , this appears to be well thought out .

Thanks. I'm happy with what I have so far. Where I'm floundering for ideas is in fleshing out the rest of the world. I want to give it a believable historical feel without completely ripping off real history. And I'm going to be completley lost when I get down to the dialogue level.
I never played Black and White. Did they make some mistake I'm in danger of making?
quote:I think that because the Titans fear the Terror they should use propoganda against it, and incorporate it into the religions as a Satan character.

That's something to consider. Currently, my take is that the Titans don't want humanity to know of its existence for two reasons. First, no matter how they spin it, eventually somebody is going to figure out that this thing is more powerful than the Titans, and might try to use it against them. Second, knowledge of the Terror would increase human curiosity about Titanopolis and eventually someone is going to go there to gawk at it or destroy it or use it. I'm thinking that the corpse of the murdered Titan doesn't decay (the Titans didn't bury or cremate it either, having no burial customs and being afraid to touch it anyway), so anyone finding the Terror would also find the corpse. That would pose a huge threat to all of the religions (God is dead! I saw his corpse!)

Dactylos,
Both of your ideas are similar in that Cain should be a special case, which I agree with. The other Titans probably should have bound him with the Terror or something, but I need him to be free. He does have his own followers, which I am modeling after the monotheism of the Hebrews. I need to be tight-lipped about Cain because he plays a big part in the secret I alluded to in a previous post (which does involve a new religion and Cain walking the earth, so you are kinda close).

JSwing,
quote:Getting the player to learn the truth about the backstory presents some difficulty.

I don't intend to make it mandatory for the player to figure out the backstory. The goal of the backstory is to be a foundation to build the rest of the world on. It's looking like most people think a crusade against the Titans would make the most interesting story (and I agree), but I have a few concerns with making it an obvious goal. Basically, I want the player to be able to play a variety of roles. I don't want to force him into the role of crusader. I want to introduce other plots consistent with the world but don't directly relate to the deceptions of the Titans.
quote:Even with the Titans as several pantheons of gods, you've still got two absolutes that seem to be even more powerful, namely the Terror and the Force. This kind of gives you an easy out into standard western monotheism, which I gathered you wanted to avoid.

Right, the Titans are not gods because they deserve to be, or because of their power levels, they are gods only because they appointed themselves gods. I am trying to avoid western monotheism, because I am trying to look at the common elements of most historical western religions (with the exception of the secret I suddenly can't stop mentioning ).
quote:Let the Terror try and motivate the player, drop clues about the reality bejind the scenes, etc.

This is something I hadn't considered. Maybe the Terror has been able to manipulate people before, too?

quote:The rest of the backstory remains mostly the same, but toss out any refernces to the Force as sentient- just make it a power source.

The Force isn't necessarily a sentient to begin with. I just figured people tend to personify nature and natural forces, at least until understanding of the natural world becomes sophisticated enough that the personification can be done away with. AFAIK, a materialistic view of nature didn't develop until well after the time periods I'm looking at.

Thans for the feedback everyone, keep it coming!

-Sean

Edited by - Sean99 on August 12, 2001 6:31:12 PM

Edited by - Sean99 on August 12, 2001 6:34:59 PM

Edited by - Sean99 on August 12, 2001 6:41:38 PM
"we need common-sense judges who understand that our rights were derived from God. And those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench." - GW Bush"no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." - Article VI of the US Constitution.
quote:Original post by Sean99
I need to be tight-lipped about Cain because he plays a big part in the secret I alluded to in a previous post (which does involve a new religion and Cain walking the earth, so you are kinda close).

Sounds very interesting. (BTW: change his name from Cain: that is too clichéd. )

quote:I don''t intend to make it mandatory for the player to figure out the backstory.

I hope you''re going to make a sequel then! I like to know everything about ''deep'' games, and this kind of game is one I would explore for ages to try and learn more about.

Not sure where these next quotes came from, as it looks like there is a post missing...

quote:Even with the Titans as several pantheons of gods, you''ve still got two absolutes that seem to be even more powerful, namely the Terror and the Force. This kind of gives you an easy out into standard western monotheism, which I gathered you wanted to avoid.

One interesting side to this is that the Terror and the Force are not necessarily opposed (providing I didn''t miss something above). It could even be conceivable that the Terror was the Force''s vengeance upon the Titans. Although this would make the Force somewhat sentient - not something you want to commit to, I know - it could be a valid belief held by some.

quote:"Let the Terror try and motivate the player, drop clues about the reality bejind the scenes, etc."
This is something I hadn''t considered. Maybe the Terror has been able to manipulate people before, too?

And why not. I am not sure if you ever addressed the Terror''s motivation. You can flesh out any character just by trying to imagine its motivation for what it does. I''m not saying The Terror needs to have had an unhappy childhood or anything like that But does it seek to destroy everything, all living things, just all Titans, or something else?
It will be hard for you to make this game 1) Because you dont know the myth well enough, and 2) you live in a world where people believe a: we were created by god or b:we come from apes, into humans.

Its hard to know much about greek mythology, because everyone tells the myth a different way. Some will say your wrong, other will say your right. I think its all a bunch of bulshit and were just a game like the sims some alien in playing on his computer.

BUt thats just my opinion.

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement