Unresolved external symbol...

Started by
7 comments, last by cubeen 12 years ago
Hi, i was just about to compile a DX9 project after I had reinstalled window7. I'm not a beginner (reading gameprogremming in school) but a got a problem that i just can't understand... When i try to comple the DX9 proj. visual studio complains about Unresolved external symbols, all of them are D3DX calls. Look at the code that includes the libs, it's correct because it have been working before:

#include "d3d9.h"
#include "d3dx9.h"

#ifdef _DEBUG
#   pragma comment(lib, "d3dx9d.lib")
#else
#   pragma comment(lib, "d3dx9.lib")
#endif

#pragma comment(lib, "d3d9.lib")
Error:

Error	1	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate9@4 referenced in function "public: bool __thiscall GraphicsImp::initGraphics(int,int,bool,bool,float,bool)" (?initGraphics@GraphicsImp@@QAE_NHH_N0M0@Z)	Graphics.obj

Error	2	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateEffectFromFileA@32 referenced in function "public: bool __thiscall GraphicsImp::initShader(void)" (?initShader@GraphicsImp@@QAE_NXZ)	Graphics.obj

Error	3	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixMultiply@12 referenced in function "public: struct D3DXMATRIX __thiscall D3DXMATRIX::operator*(struct D3DXMATRIX const &)const " (??DD3DXMATRIX@@QBE?AU0@ABU0@@Z)	Graphics.obj

Error	4	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixLookAtLH@16 referenced in function "private: void __thiscall GraphicsImp::configCamera(void)" (?configCamera@GraphicsImp@@AAEXXZ)	Graphics.obj

Error	5	error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixLookAtLH@16	Camera.obj

Error	6	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH@20 referenced in function "private: void __thiscall GraphicsImp::configProjection(void)" (?configProjection@GraphicsImp@@AAEXXZ)	Graphics.obj

Error	7	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixTranslation@16 referenced in function "private: void __thiscall GraphicsImp::configStdPresentValues(void)" (?configStdPresentValues@GraphicsImp@@AAEXXZ)	Graphics.obj

Error	8	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixScaling@16 referenced in function "private: void __thiscall GraphicsImp::configStdPresentValues(void)" (?configStdPresentValues@GraphicsImp@@AAEXXZ)	Graphics.obj

Error	9	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationY@8 referenced in function "private: void __thiscall GraphicsImp::configStdPresentValues(void)" (?configStdPresentValues@GraphicsImp@@AAEXXZ)	Graphics.obj

Error	10	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationX@8 referenced in function "private: void __thiscall GraphicsImp::configStdPresentValues(void)" (?configStdPresentValues@GraphicsImp@@AAEXXZ)	Graphics.obj

Error	11	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateFontA@48 referenced in function "private: void __thiscall GraphicsImp::configFpsCounter(void)" (?configFpsCounter@GraphicsImp@@AAEXXZ)	Graphics.obj

Error	12	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationZ@8 referenced in function "public: void __thiscall GraphicsImp::renderObjects(class std::list<class Entity *,class std::allocator<
class Entity *> >)" (?renderObjects@GraphicsImp@@QAEXV?$list@PAVEntity@@V?$allocator@PAVEntity@@@std@@@std@@@Z)	Graphics.obj

Error	13	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateTextureFromFileA@12 referenced in function "public: bool __thiscall GraphicsImp::setBackground(class std::basic_string<
char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >)" (?setBackground@GraphicsImp@@QAE_NV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z)	Graphics.obj

Error	14	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXVec2Normalize@8 referenced in function "public: void __thiscall Entity::tractor(class Entity *)" (?tractor@Entity@@QAEXPAV1@@Z)	Entity.obj

Error	15	error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXVec2Normalize@8	Ship.obj

Error	16	fatal error LNK1120: 13 unresolved externals
I know that this problem is caused be the linker, when it can't link a function call to it's defenition. But I got all the DX9 lib files included in VC++ Direcories, i even placed the required lib files inside the proj. folder... What have a missed? Thanks in advanced!
Advertisement
1. Did you set the libraries directory to the x86 or x64 directory, and not just "lib"? (The older SDKs just had 32-bit libs inside the "lib" directory, newer ones have subdirectories)
2. Does it work if you copy the .lib file to the same directory as your project or solution? If so, that means that visual studio probably can't find the .libs (Annoyingly, it silently fails instead of giving a warning / error if it can't find a lib).
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
1. Did you set the libraries directory to the x86 or x64 directory, and not just "lib"? (The older SDKs just had 32-bit libs inside the "lib" directory, newer ones have subdirectories)

I have set it to x64, my computer is 64 bits...
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
2. Does it work if you copy the .lib file to the same directory as your project or solution? If so, that means that visual studio probably can't find the .libs (Annoyingly, it silently fails instead of giving a warning / error if it can't find a lib).

Yes i have, i'm VERY confused about this! I don't know what to do more...

[Edited by - Mockarutan on May 10, 2010 1:40:12 PM]
Quote:I have set it to x64, my computer is 64 bits...

Maybe this is the problem! Which version of Visual studio do you use? You can't compile you application under the x64 profile in the express editions. And if you use a pro version, your project configuration needs to be x64, too.
I've got a x64 CPU, too, but because of my Express edition I can't compile anything for x64.

Does it work with the x86 libs?
Quote:Original post by mind in a box
Quote:I have set it to x64, my computer is 64 bits...

Maybe this is the problem! Which version of Visual studio do you use? You can't compile you application under the x64 profile in the express editions. And if you use a pro version, your project configuration needs to be x64, too.
I've got a x64 CPU, too, but because of my Express edition I can't compile anything for x64.

Does it work with the x86 libs?

I have a licensed version of VS 2008 PRO, where do i config it to a 64 bits project?
There:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I really hope just this was the problem. Otherwise I can't help you anymore...
I do not have an option named "x64" there and i have never seen that before.
Hm... I've got it in every project I start. But I'm sure you can make your own with that Config-Manager. BUT FIRST: Does it work with the x86 librarys? If not, this can't be the problem :P
I know it's been some time since this thread was initially posted but just for reference for anyone revisiting (as I did) here's the solution that worked for me.
Note: Using DirectX 9
In project properties >> configuration properties >> linker >> input under additional dependencies make sure you have d3dx9.lib . My list of additional dependencies looks as follows:
d3d9.lib;d3dx9.lib;winmm.lib;%(AdditionalDependencies)

good luck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement