Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Direct3DX utility library...

This topic is 5972 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I am beginnig with DirectX 8, and have some experience on DirectX 7 and OpenGL graphics programming, but about DX8 I am a beginner. Well my question is, wich is the best method to handle 3D math operations in DX8, I mean, should I code my own Vectors, matrices, quaternions, etc. clases or just use the ones supplied by DirectX 8 in the Direct3DX utility library? By other hand to begin to code a "simple 3D engine", is needed to code a class to manage vertices, polygon, etc. or just use the DirectX data structures for this? Thanks in advance! Edited by - ogracian on August 9, 2001 11:49:22 PM

use D3DX - Microsoft has a team of people working on optimizing, CPU optimizations, and so on. There''s no reason to reinvent the wheel for most things - chances are high that you''ll work hard and D3DX will still be better.

Some of the higher level D3DX functions such as the meshes may be better reimplemented in special cases, but often they are pretty good.

Hello

Thanks for your replay, so the best bet is use DirectX utility library, but if I want to use operators overload, so how can I use mix the DirectX utility lib in my vector class?

Thanks!