Problem with initializing directx

Started by
23 comments, last by KaMiKaZ 22 years, 8 months ago
hi! after reading about half of "tricks of the windows game programming gurus", i decided to both start writing actuall directx code and to make my own library rather than use the t3d ones. newayz, in my game_init() function, which looks like this: int Game_Init() { if(FAILED(DirectDrawCreate(NULL,&lpdd, NULL))) { //error!! return(0); } if(FAILED(lpdd->QueryInterface(IID_IDirectDraw4, (LPVOID *)&lpdd4))) { //error!! return(0); } if(lpdd) { lpdd->Release(); lpdd = NULL; } if(FAILED(lpdd4->SetCooperativeLevel(main_window_handle, DDSCL_FULLSCREEN | DDSCL_ALLOWMODEX | DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE | DDSCL_ALLOWREBOOT))) { //error!! return(0); } if(FAILED(lpdd4->SetDisplayMode(SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT,SCREEN_BPP,0,0))) { //error!! return(0); } } i come across a few errors that are somewhat strange while compiling. first, it says that IID_IDIRECTDRAW4 is an "unrefrencecd identifier". when looking in the directxsdk help, it says that a "Reference identifier of the interface being requested" should be passed... im a little confused there whether i have to declare iid_idirectdraw4 and define it somehow or it''s a flag or somethin else (oww my head hurts from all this!) the second error says that there isn''t 5 parameters in queryinterface(), which i know has 5... any help wud be appreciated! thanx, ~~KaMiKaZ~~
+<--->+With your feet in the air and your head on the groundTry this trick and spin it, yeahYour head will collapseBut there's nothing in it And you'll ask yourselfWhere is my mind+<--->+
Advertisement
your going about it all wrong.
here is my init function:

HRESULT InitDirectDraw()
{

// Obtain a pointer to an IDirectDraw7 interface.
DirectDrawCreateEx(NULL, (VOID**)&lpDirectDraw, IID_IDirectDraw7, NULL);

// Set the cooperative level.
lpDirectDraw->SetCooperativeLevel(hWnd, DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE|DDSCL_FULLSCREEN|DDSCL_ALLOWREBOOT);

// Change the display mode.
lpDirectDraw->SetDisplayMode(nWidth, nHeight, nBPP, 0, 0);

DDSURFACEDESC2 ddsd; ZeroMemory(&ddsd, sizeof(DDSURFACEDESC2));
ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(DDSURFACEDESC2);
ddsd.dwFlags = DDSD_CAPS|DDSD_BACKBUFFERCOUNT;
ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE|DDSCAPS_FLIP|DDSCAPS_COMPLEX|DDSCAPS_VIDEOMEMORY;
ddsd.dwBackBufferCount = 1;

// Create the primary surface with one back buffer.
lpDirectDraw->CreateSurface(&ddsd, &lpddsPrimary, NULL);

DDSCAPS2 ddscaps; ZeroMemory(&ddscaps, sizeof(DDSCAPS2));
ddscaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_BACKBUFFER;

// Get a pointer to the back buffer.
lpddsPrimary->GetAttachedSurface(&ddscaps, &lpddsBack);

return D3D_OK;
}
oh ya and make sure to link with dxguid.lib and ddraw.lib

example:

#pragma comment(lib, "dxguid.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "ddraw.lib")
#include <windows.h>
#include <ddraw.h>
annon, i think ur way wud work if i waz using directx 7 or 8 or somethin, but r/now im using directx 6.0, so there is no directdrawcreateex function.. everything else applies, but that doesn''t really help 2 much... thanx neway. can ne1 else using v 6.0 help me?
thanx,
~~KaMiKaZ~~
+<--->+With your feet in the air and your head on the groundTry this trick and spin it, yeahYour head will collapseBut there's nothing in it And you'll ask yourselfWhere is my mind+<--->+
aaaaaah! now the compiler doesn''t recognize LPDIRECTDRAW4 as a data type... somethin''s not right! i set the compiler to link to ddraw.lib and dxguid.lib, and also included ddraw.h . i have version 6.1 of the sdk installed.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... any help wud b appreciated... the sooner the beter!
thanx,
~~KaMiKaZ~~
the code I posted is for DirectDraw 7.
dd7 is what you should be using.

and if you''re using version 6 you shouldnt be trying to obtain a pointer to a version 4 interface.

that makes no sense.
annon... thanx but no thanx. i''m trying to learn directx 6 first! at v 6.0, all the interface versions were not caught up (ie some interfaces might be version 1, some 4, some 2, etc...) so that''s why directdraw is @ version 4. pleaz ne1 else know how to fix this?? it makes no sense at all. for the record, im using msoft visual c++ 6.0 introductary edition, and i''ve manually included ddraw.h, and linked to dxguid.lib and ddraw.lib thru the project->settings->link.
thanx
~~KaMiKaZ~~
ne1?? plz, this problem is REALLY buggin me
~~KaMiKaZ~~
*anguished cry* ne1!?!?!?
Never link to a library file through the projects->settings->link, you should always manually include then in your project. Don''t ask me why, just do it.

X4J
X4J

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement