Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmdkeen

Super Mario style 2D platformer

I just releases the first preview version of my 2D platformer ''The Turtlegame''. There are currently 6 levels for 1-2 players. The game should be done within the next month I will only have to add some more levels, intro/outro are already done but not included yet. If you''re interested in old style 2D games have a look at [url=http://www.turtlegame.de.vu]The Turtlegame page[/url]. Have a nice day. [Edited by - cmdkeen on May 19, 2008 8:43:01 PM]

Hi cmdKeen,

I too am creating a classic style 2D mario-type game, if u like download it and tell me what u think. Ill d/l your turtle game and check it out soon.

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

There was a problem running the game, it shows the title screen with the red text saying ''start game'', ''load game'' etc. but when I press enter (or any other key for that matter) is doesnt do anything! Do u need a joystick?

hmm strange.

Keyboard access should be ok because you were able to end the ''intro''. Do you have any exotic keyboard ? Maybe japanese etc ? Also make sure your DX version is >= 6.0. The game doesn''t check this really.
It should work via Cursor up/down, enter selecting a menu.

I''m going to check out your game, too. I''ve got a strange feeling I''ve formerly visited the site but cant remember the game though.

[Edited by - cmdkeen on May 19, 2008 8:09:44 PM]

Ive tried it on two machines with no luck, one was an NEC Classmate with Win95+DX8 which displays the title menu but when I press all the keys nothing happens and u need to press ALT-F4 to exit. The keyboard is a standard 101 kbd.
The other machine was a new Toshiba 1730 Celeron Laptop with Win98 and DX6.0a, it showed a black window and displayed a message in (i think) German (Fehler beim Anlegen der prim?en Oberfl??he).
My DDraw7 game runs on it fine so I think your game may have a compatibility problem. It may be wise to upgrade your SDK to DX7 so your game is more compatible, but its up to u.

Nice game, you have done some good work on it. My only problem is the keyboard interface. It is really difficult to use. It took me 10 minutes to find out what keys did what (It would be nice if the readme mentioned the keyboard layout or if you had an instructions screen). Using the arrow keys on the number pad is fine, but you should also allow for the regular arrows keys to be used. And the End button being used for jump is also pretty odd. The spacebar or any other easy to reach key would be nicer in my opinion. And the player 2 controls are also a bit difficult, but it doesn''t matter as much since most people will probably be playing single.

Other than that, the game is pretty fun. The graphics are good, and it runs smoothly.

I''m happy to hear that you liked the game :)

Actually there is already a help function that displays all game keys. Its shown when you hit F1 in the game. But that is not documented. I''ve improved it already, i added a help screen. It will be included in the next release (about end of the week).

The reason I made the strange keyboard layout is that I made the game because I wanted to have a 2 player platformer. This is imo the best way to share the keyboard with 2 players (no joystick support yet). But feel free to send me any suggestion for an improvement.

@SikCiv: the german error message may appear when you have only 2mb of video ram. It says ''Error when trying to create primay surface''. Still dont know about the keyboard. I''ve tested with DX6 and DX8.
Great game btw. (the graphics are amazing!)

http://www.turtlegame.f2s.com

[Edited by - cmdkeen on May 19, 2008 8:28:03 PM]

The keyboard layout isn''t too difficult for Player 1, but Player 2 feels almost impossible to control. Having the jump key right next to the move left key makes it hard to jump to the left (even though in the maps you go right, there are plenty of times when you must run and jump to the left). Maybe if the jump button was inbetween the two movement keys. I''m not sure where you would put the climbing keys though. Reconfigurable keys would be nice, but I know what a pain it is to do all that.

Oh well, it''s a great game. I seem to be stuck though on level 4 I believe (not sure exactly what level, I think 4). Is this map beatable or is it just unfinished?

Every map in the game is beatable. There are currently 5 maps. The next version that I''m going to release at the weekend will feature 7 maps plus intro and victory sequence.

Midnight: I find player 2 control ok if I put the left hand over the movement keys and the other hand over the action keys. But I haven''t played it as pl 2 too much, I''ll have a look at it.
Anyway nice to see someone using the 2 player mode :)

[Edited by - cmdkeen on May 19, 2008 8:14:38 PM]

Intro and victory sequences sound cool. I''d like to see the new maps, but right now I''m still stuck on level 4. Right in the beginning. Do I need to jump across that one part? It seems impossible to make it to the other side.

Anyway, it looks great so far. Are you going to add sound to it?

I guess you mean the one where you have to go straight up. Yes you need to jump from side to side. Be sure to use acceleration key (del) to run really fast. Jump as late as possible and dont release jump. This should make it. btw: the skill level heavily increases in level 4. It rises that much because I probably will only include ~ 10 level and dont want ppl to master it in 5 minutes.

I wont add sound to this game anymore. It seems to be impossible to me to make decent sound/music and I want the game to be done soon. Spent enough time on the same thing now. Maybe my next game (which I will have to start) will do, I dont know.

[Edited by - cmdkeen on May 19, 2008 8:24:19 PM]

Oh. I didn''t even know of an acceleration key. I guess that''s why I couldn''t make it.

It''s okay if it doesn''t have sound, the game feels fine without it. I can''t make decent sound myself.

Anyway, good luck on your next project (and the rest of this one).

I just uploaded the ''Turtlegame Preview #2''.
If my site isn''t updated when you chech it, try again in a few hours. f2s uses a strange caching mechanism that needs some time to register updated files. You know you''ve got the new version when the news page has an entry dated 18.8.01, and there are both version #1 and #2 on the download page.

New features are:

Intro
Outro
2 new levels (makes 7 in the game)
1 new enemy in 2 variations
runs on machines with less than 2.5mb of video ram (ie. for SikCiv''s notebook :)

on my todo list there''s only left optimization, more levels, + _maybe_ customizable control

have fun

[Edited by - cmdkeen on May 19, 2008 8:33:52 PM]

The new version is better, I can tell. But I still have one main problem. My keyboard doesn''t allow me to press numpad 6, end and delete at the same time. This make accelerated jumps difficult because I have to release del before actually jumping. It would be nice to have alternate movement or acceleration keys.

I downloaded the new version and tested it on the crappy NEC classmate, it still doesnt accept any keyboard input, though I also tried it on a Pentium 3 IBM A21m notebook w/16MB vidmem and it runs perfect, the screen is resized to the LCD size so everything looks smoothed out as if it was using a softening filter or something - pretty cool.

One problem is that I couldn''t control the turtle, I enabled the numpad keys on the IBM keyboard and pressed all the buttons and it didnt move, the END key made the turtle jump but thats about it.

A couple of suggestions:
Maybe you should consider remapping the keys in Player1 mode to use the standard arrow keys, and the space bar for jumping.
A parallax scrolling background would boost the visuals as well.

By the way, cool game! 2D games rule!!!!!!!!!!!

That''s what I would suggest. Arrow keys (Left and Right for movement, Up and Down for climbing), and the space bar for jumping. And the acceleration key could be shift or something. You could still keep the old layout anyway, and just have these as alternatives. I''m not sure about player 2 though. Maybe you could have W,A,S,D for player 1''s movement, left shift for acceleration, and some other key for jumping, and player 2 could use the arrow keys.

2D games are the best. This was very inspiring for me, I always wanted to play as oneof those tutrles from Mario World, since mario and luigi are dumb. The collision detection could be better on the one part in the first level, right at the end, where you have to go up then down, every time i tried to jump, even though I saw I got a clear shot the computer didnt. I think, the solution to you keyboard problem would be allowing the person to set thier own controls.

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden

OK, enough begging :)
Hereby I promise to include customizable controls in version 3 !
There''s not too much I''ve still to do, so I will do it. Also the 7th level will be fixed, I forgot to set up some blocks which would make the level look nicer.

And another thing: I''m going to release some editors for levels, objects, tilesets and actors soon. Of course I''ll tell you when they''re released.

Has anyone already reached the end ? If so, feel free to send me your savegames, I may setup a highscore list on my page.

SikCiv: there will be problems on notebooks that emulate the numpad by sending the keycodes of the normal keyboard key, ie. instead of sending DIK_NUM7 sending DIK_7 etc. Haven''t thought of that yet - thank you for detecting it.
A parralax scrolling background is a nice idea but I would need to paint one. btw: how did you made your graphics ?

[Edited by - cmdkeen on May 19, 2008 8:16:16 PM]

theres seven levels? Lol.. I am having trouble with the third... THis game is pretty cool, though, the controls do ned to be fixed. You should write a tutorial on how to make games like this. Good Luck

hey, I didnt spend 2+ years learning c++,DX and making the game to see you having done it within a day ;)
btw: being stuck in level 3 seems early - the level is still easy compared to levs 4+. but I dont want to discourage you. I played through most super mario games. Maybe this raises the difficulty level a bit because I need several attempts to win the last levels, too.
controls:see above

[Edited by - cmdkeen on May 19, 2008 8:52:49 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I recently made an online Flash game parody of the NES classic game "Castlevania 2". I hope you guys like it!

"Castlevania 2: Priest Battle"
[url]http://www.I-Mockery.com/minimocks/Castlevania[/url]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hrm, maybe this time the link will work. If not, just copy it into your browser''s address bar heheh...

"Castlevania 2: Priest Battle"
http://www.I-Mockery.com/minimocks/Castlevania

quote:

SikCiv: there will be problems on notebooks that emulate the numpad by sending the keycodes of the normal keyboard key, ie. instead of sending DIK_NUM7 sending DIK_7 etc. Haven''t thought of that yet - thank you for detecting it.
A parralax scrolling background is a nice idea but I would need to paint one. btw: how did you made your graphics ?

My parallax backgrounds were created either two ways:

(1) Within mspaint by creating the basic shapes such as mountains, then with PaintShopPro to smooth and fill the shapes with textures, smudging and distortions.

(2) From photos, using PaintShop to resize and clean them.

The characters were done the same way as (1) and the rotating items were created in a 3D package.

The backgrounds dont have to be self-made bitmaps, u could easily just grab a picture from somewhere then use PSP to soften, darken, and resize them.