Farmville / Cyber Nations Killer

Started by
10 comments, last by Wavinator 13 years, 10 months ago
Saw this one yesterday: Erupblik. I'm thinking it's going to be the Farmville killer. If you were into Cyber Nations, this is similar but with a larger scope. Already 400k players, I'm thinking it'll hit a million pretty soon. [Edited by - ChurchSkiz on May 29, 2010 6:48:56 AM]
Advertisement
Nice referrer there... :P

Already playing. I'm in eDenmark fighting against a eSerbian political take over that has been lasting for the last 9 months
Would you still recommend and announce your interest in it on a public forum if there was nothing gained in referring somebody? It kind of ruins the neutrality of things when you get something out of it.
Yeah, I didn't do it for the referral. It's a cool game, if you don't want to refer me then just sign up and leave me out of it. I think I've posted about enough games in the last 5 years that it's clear I'm not spamming or doing it for my own personal benefit.

Last time the Cyber Nations post went up a bunch of us were already playing and I figured there would be enough interest for this to be a worthwhile post.
I haven't been to that site since I'm at work but I don't understand the purpose of these games. I've never played Farmville or anything but I just don't see the purpose.

Isn't the general idea that it's like a browser based strategy game? You don't like get anything out of it do you? Is the only thing hooking people in really generic, accessible (yet dull) gameplay?

There was an article on CNN a few days ago about this lady that left work meetings early and even was playing it while giving the interview because she was so addicted. IMO, it's like someone getting extremely addicted to Mario Paint or something...

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

This is spam. If you want to tell us about this awesome new game then do it without a referral link, otherwise this is spam.
Quote:Original post by programmermattc
I haven't been to that site since I'm at work but I don't understand the purpose of these games. I've never played Farmville or anything but I just don't see the purpose.

Isn't the general idea that it's like a browser based strategy game? You don't like get anything out of it do you? Is the only thing hooking people in really generic, accessible (yet dull) gameplay?

There was an article on CNN a few days ago about this lady that left work meetings early and even was playing it while giving the interview because she was so addicted. IMO, it's like someone getting extremely addicted to Mario Paint or something...

Whats the purpose of any game then? At the end of the day aren't they all just dull gameplay? I've beat Modern Warfare 2 on veteran and its not like I got anything out of that.

It's a pretty good game actually. It's based around rather simple mechanics of nations. A single player makes up for a citizen in one of those countries and has a job, eventual political affiliation, is a writer for a newspaper, runs for congress/presidency.

Basically it's about writing retoric articles and going to war with other countries over territories which has different types of natural resources, which player owned, and driven, companies can use/gather

It's quite deep, and there's alot of different tactics going on actually. It can be fun if you play it properly/in the right country
Quote:Original post by programmermattc

Farmville I don't see the point of and never got into. You just do stuff to get more stuff. Cyber nations I liked, it was kind of a browser based WoW. You had to work together with other people in clans to maintain peace and crush rogue nations.

This kind of takes it a step further in that specific people are actually running each company, political party, country, etc. More of an open platform than Cyber Nations was.
I think I'm hypocritical on this subject :p

I like playing tabletop strategy games so from what you mentioned ChurchSkiz, Cyber Nations sounds pretty cool. But Farmville still sounds lame. I understand there's strategy in it but I guess I don't see the draw to it. If you have a strategy game where you farm stuff versus a strategy game where you train armies or save civilizations in the same style, which would you prefer? And is farming that much more of a draw than any fictionalized environment?

jtagge75, I see your point, but really if you spent equal amounts of time playing Farmville, Modern Warfare 2, and Uncharted 2; do you think MW2 or Uncharted 2 would be your pick for the most dull?

I think my gripe is with the fact that you're just farming which itself is a pretty uninteresting concept for a game. It'd be the same idea of me creating a game with all of Farmville's gameplay where all you do is play someone playing Farmville. Though I'm sure farming isn't the major draw to Farmville, at least I hope it's not.

I guess it all comes down to your 'gaming lifestyle' and what you get into more. If you like playing strategy stuff where you harvest carrots, go right ahead.

(And sorry if I seem like I'm trying to 'flame' or 'troll' in this thread, I legitimately don't understand the appeal. Plus I've been kind of cranky the last few days :) )

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement