Is a Macbook Good For Programming?

Started by
53 comments, last by th2 13 years, 10 months ago
Is a macbook good for programing such as C++, Java, C# and other programing langauages? Or is a laptop more suitable? With the macbook it will alow me to develop ipohone games aswell, so which one is better overall and for programing?
Advertisement
Depends on what exactly you want to program for...
I want to start with the iphone. Also mods could you please move this topic to the "Beginners" section. Thanks.
Quote:
Is a macbook good for programing such as C++, Java, C# and other programing langauages?

Depends on the programming language. I use a MacBook Pro almost exclusively for all my Java development and it works very well. I prefer the Windows interface, but OSX is fine too. Apple has made some sacrifices of usability in favor of aesthetics that I'm not fond of (why can't I resize a window at all sides and corners?). Also, one thing that annoys me is the keyboard. I love the feel of the keyboard but it lacks dedicated home/end/pgup/pgdn and forward delete keys. You have to use the FN key in combination with the arrow keys or delete instead. It takes some getting used to.

If you are going to do C# development then I would definitely suggest something running Windows. You could run Windows on your mac with dual boot or with a virtual machine, but why? You could get more bang for your buck buying a laptop running Windows.

Personally, for development the only reason why I'd get a MacBook is if you plan to develop applications specifically for OSX or iPhone. You can get a quality laptop with much better specs running Windows for the same price.
Quote:Original post by th2
I want to start with the iphone. Also mods could you please move this topic to the "Beginners" section. Thanks.

I guess if you are making apps for iphone, macbook has all the tools installed for you so you can start right away.
Quote:Original post by th2

Unless you plan on programming for the iPhone with a Virtual Machine, MacBooks are the only way to install the iPhone/iPad/Touch SDK. There is no windows compilation of the OFFICIAL SDK.

____________________________________________________________My Biggest Weakness: Too quick to judgeKnowing your own weaknesses is your biggest strength. What's your's?

Quote: Everyday I wake up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. - by Robert Orben
So should I learn all the programing lanaguages such as C++, C# and Java first with a laptop, then when I feel comfortable get a Macbook?
Why does it matter? Like people are saying, you can develop in C++, Java, and with a bit of extra effort, even C# on a Macbook just fine.

If your target is the iPhone, you need a Mac. If you want a Macbook, get one. Why go buy a "laptop" now, only to have to buy a Mac of some sort later?
The mac hardware is pretty great -- excellent build quality and feel, plus, these big multi-touch trackpads are the only trackpads worth having. People always talk about the "Mac tax", which is more true of their desktop offerings, but I would defy them to find a laptop of equal spec and quality, for significantly cheaper on the PC side. Yes Apple hardware has a higher cost of entry, but they simply don't compete for the bottom end of the market.

As an owner of a 13" unibody macbook, I've been very happy with it. My only complaint about this particular model is that the 1280x800 screen resolution can be a little cramped (though this resolution is the defacto standard for 13" notebooks). I wish it were closer to 1600x900, but you have to move up to the 15 inchers for that.

Xcode, IIRC, is a multi-window interface, so its not a problem. Visual Studio's all-in-one interface is not too terribly cramped, but the Eclipse IDE can be a big problem because they don't use screen space all that well.

If you're very much set on doing an iPhone game then there's no reason to skip the macbook now. However, if you're new to programming and don't know how serious this hobby will become, the cheaper option is probably a better bet unless you'd really just like a nicer, if more expensive, laptop.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Heh, talk about timing. It turns out that you may want to wait a few weeks before making that decision if iPhone support is your primary concern.

Slashdot is reporting that Steve Balmer will join Steve Jobs during his keynote to talk about Visual Studio 10 which is rumored to add support for the development of native Mac, iPad and iPhone/iTouch applications!

That would be big news indeed!

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement