What next: C or Java?

Started by
7 comments, last by Ghostface 22 years, 8 months ago
Having become [almost] comfortable with C++ and beginning to delve into the world of Win32, I am looking to learn a few more languages before moving into OpenGL and DirectX. My question is this: what should I learn? Some people have told that I should go ahead and learn C, seeing as how C++ is just a superset/extension. Yet, others have told me to learn Java, due to its OOP paradigm similar to C++. Any opinions?
------------------------------"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. " - Galileo Galilei
Advertisement
jesus... I''ve seen this question for about 10,000 times and people still asking it...

go on into the "Articles & resources" section... you''ll find what ever you whant about "wich lang. should you learn".

have a nice day

jakovo
"lots of shoulddas, coulddas, woulddas in the air, thinking about things they shouldda couldda wouldda donne, however all those shoulddas coulddas woulddas ran away when they saw the little did to come"
You don''t need to learn more languages... try doing more complex things in the language you''re most comfortable with. It''s best to build on what you''ve learned by trying more complex things, and you can''t do that by learning the basics of 10 languages. Now, I''m not saying extra languages are pointless (I know C, C++, Basic, Java(script), and Python), but the quantity of languages known doesn''t make up for quality of the knowledge of 1 language.
I''d say that if you want to actually learn something new, you should try to learn a functional language. Those are a fundamentally different way of thinking about programming from any of the languages you mentioned, similar to the difference between procedural programming and object oriented programming.

Try learning how to use Lisp, Haskell, ML, or a language like that. Learning how to use one of those languages changes the way you think about programming. It gives you new perspectives, and that''s significantly more than merely changing between a couple of languages with very similar syntax can do.
you don''t need any more languages, and you definently don''t need C or java. Both are just subsets of C++, nothing more. (note: yes not strictly). If you do want to learn another language go with one of the ones c_wraith mentioned.
Learning them both wouldn''t hurt... In fact, it might be beneficial as you''ll get to see the advantages/disadvantages of all three languages(C/C++/Java) and you''ll know which language suits a certain project better.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Dude, just become an expert in C++ and Python and your days will be infinitely the best. Trust me, I''m trying to save you a lot of time.

"Journies Lead to Knowledge and Passion Lights the Way..."

~=NeuroMorphus=~
"Journies Lead to Knowledge and Passion Lights the Way..."~=NeuroMorphus=~
well I''ll get in on this... Java... don''t realy care for it... Nuffsaid has a point... and its the same reason why I don''t like Java... the only place I''ve ever seen for it is in webdevelopment... and scence I don''t do that its not realy interesting to me... C nice language... you could pick up on C realy fast... its the first REAL language I learned ( I don''t count QBASIC as a language =)... some people live by the C example ID Software... its all they use... well maybe not for Quake3 (don''t know for shure) but guessing by paterns its probably C... I don''t use it anymore... I like Classes =)... one that I think would help you a lot... I know it did me... is assembly... alot of people say that assemnly no longer has a place... I say thats bullshit... anyone who has ever realy tried to learn it wouldn''t say that... even if you only learn it fairly well and then never write another line of assembly again it will help you... you''ll leave ALOT more about they way the computer works... can we say optimizing =)... and that will help you write fast code in ANY language you choose... plus the benifits of using inline assembly to further speed up your code...

well I think I''ve done enough rambeling I''ll go now...
The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."
I would like to thank everyone for their advice. Even people who don''t know how to use periods to end their sentences (Great Milenko)
------------------------------"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. " - Galileo Galilei

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement