unix and linux

Started by
3 comments, last by stevelevesque 22 years, 8 months ago
If anybody has the time i would like you to explain what unix and linux are. Also what they are used for. I have seen websites that have tutorials and other things on the subject. Steve
~When The Only Thing You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Looks Like A Nail.www.instinctz.net
Advertisement
UNIX is an operating system which was originally developed about 30 years ago. Nowdays, UNIX variants are considered to be among the most powerful and stable operating systems around. Many, many large servers run UNIX. For example, my university''s web and email servers run AIX, which is IBM''s version of UNIX.

Linux is a UNIX-type operating system which was created in the last 10 years. Unlike many flavors of UNIX, it is free and open-source, so anybody can use or modify it. Many websites, such as Slashdot, are powered by servers running Linux.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
To elaborate some on the linux explanation:

The first linux kernel was programmed by Linux Torvalds, a Polish Comp. Science student in the early ''90s. He did this for both fun and because he was required to have an OS called Minix for school work. Minix was a wee bit expen$ive. After a couple of months work he released it to friends, on the usenet groups, etc... and it has since then aquired quite a large and devoted standing. Or at least that is my understanding of the history of linux. On the kernel part, the kernel is the...well the kernel...its the core of the entire OS, it controls the hardware, in fact the entire computer. The kernel is now at version 2.4.8, well thats the latest stable release the latest release...as of yesterday was 2.4.9pre2 I believe. A word on the stability of linux...its extremely stable...I have froze my linux box ONE time this summer and I enjoy doing things that computers dont like abit. If I can provide any more info just say so. Hope this little speil was helpful to anyone who reads it.

k0pf
When did Linus Torvalds become a Pole? Torvalds studied at the university of Helsinki, and for those of you that flunked geography: Helsinki is in Finland!
i use linux red had :D go to www.linuxdistro.com to get one for free.. uhm. there really fun to hack on and exploit.. also some friends of mine have done over 12 DoS (denial of service) attacts within the last like.. month or so :D

-Calibur
Programming the youth

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement