Yet again, 2D in D3D8 (C'mon, read it anyway)

Started by
2 comments, last by Normie 22 years, 8 months ago
Recently I too jumped onto the 2D in D3D bandwagon. I managed to create a (somewhat poorly designed, with no error checking whatsoever and lame ability) 2D game engine through use of the ID3DXSprite interface. I''m told that it''s slow and somewhat less able to do certain things than the alternative of textured quads and vertex buffers and such. Anywho, I want to learn to do it the "3D" way, with textured quads and suchforth. However, I barely know a thing about 3D, like what projections (specifically, orthogonal projections) actually are, what each projection does, what a vertex buffer does, etc. I read the tutorial on this site, and while it showed how to get started, it left much unexplained for the 3D newbie (namely, me). Anyone know where I can learn these beginner 3D factoids? -Normie I am a devout follower of the "Lazy Programmer''s Doctrime"(tm)... and I''m damned proud of it, too! ----- "I came, I saw, I started making games." ... If you''ll excuse me, I must resume my search for my long lost lobotomy stitches.
I am a devout follower of the"Lazy Programmer's Doctrime"(tm)...and I'm damned proud of it, too!-----"I came, I saw, I started makinggames." ... If you'll excuseme, I must resume my searchfor my long lost lobotomy stitches.
Advertisement
I personally learned most of what I know of D3D from the SDK documentation... I really suggest delving deep into the dark corners of this fairly helpfull manual...

I think it covers what projections are... dont quite remember but I''m pretty sure it''s there...

And there are I think 6 tutorials on getting started with D3D... anway give it a shot, I think It might help.

-Lonely
google searches go a long way...
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
A really nice tutorial for the mathematics behind 3d-graphics is at http://chortle.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/vectorLessons/vectorIndex.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement