Come Back NeHe.....

Started by
7 comments, last by akudoi 22 years, 8 months ago
Well i just went to NeHe''s site to find out that he took it down... COMPLETELY SHUT IT DOWN! (due to the gamedev situation) I loved his site... and his tutorials tought me alot. If your reading this NeHe Please bring your site back! Anyone reading this.. help out gamedev.net contribute the pennys in the couch! anything! and bring back Nehe too! this amazing community depends on it! thanx
Advertisement
Yeah come back NeHe. Don''t do this to us again. Maybe the site could be changed back to what it was before like the games/demos sent in can be posted on the front of the webpage and and after a certain lenght of time they can be deleted, sort of like the routine you had a few months back. I pick GL because there weren''t any other DX sites like yours, and at that time this was the only website I knew of. Oh this is a fauxpas I''m actually crying I haven''t cried in a year. I love that site so much that it became like my nation''s flag or my room, sacrosanct.
Well, it'll be a while before gamedev decides/is able to get its act together, but luckily in the interim Google has taken snapshots of most tutorials. All you have to do is search for "nehe tutorial 19" for example, and choose to view the cached page instead of the link.

http://www.essi.fr/~buffa/cours/synthese_image/DOCS/Tutoriaux/Nehe/opengl.htm has HTML and downloadable C++ code up to lesson 14.
It might be a good idea to start downloading everything in case that web site randomly goes down.

Edited by - johnnie2 on August 12, 2001 3:06:22 AM
________________________________________________"Optimal decisions, once made, do not need to be changed." - Robert Sedgewick, Algorithms in C
Just a note. GameDev.net will be fine, and NeHe''s worry that taking the site down to help our bandwidth doesn''t exactly help us. In fact, it makes things much worse. GDNet is already being upgraded to a new hosting plan to accomodate the bandwidth. The only thing NeHe needs to do is try to optimize his site to lower the amount of bandwidth he uses for the future.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

Although certain individuals do not believe me, my intent was only to help out GameDev. After reading that GameDev could end up shutting down in just two months without donations, and after reading that my site was hogging over 50% of the bandwidth, I didn''t think twice. I removed the site, then let Kevin know what I had done.

Unfortunately what started out as good intentions ended in misunderstanding.

For me to find another host would be no problem at all. My plan was to find hosting and set up on another server. I posted that the site was down because I wasn''t sure how long it would be before I could afford to put it back up.

Anyways... it''s 5:18am... I have been working on a redesign for the past 6 hours (probably longer), and Kevin can veryify that.

I''m really not happy with it, but if I''m somehow using over 120 gigs bandwidth I guess it has to be done.

If visitor levels drop or I get fed up with the stripped down design I will simply move to a server capable of handling high volumes of traffic.

The site will be up by 6am MST if I can get a few more pages modified... if not, It will be up when I wake up.
P.S. Thanks for the news post Johnnie2. Good to see that you guys are resourceful
As far as NeHe''s site is down you can look at this site (http://www.geocities.com/zuppi1) if you need to read the tutorials now (up to tutorial 31). But not all Source is available.
I''m doing the upload at the moment (01:57pm MET).

cu, zuppi
NeHe is back again.
There is no need for the temp-link of mine, i will remeve it.

cu, Zuppi
Man, that main page used to take forever to load up on my computer, now it''s almost instant Hey, NeHe, I thought you were gone on holidays or something ...

Chris Barry

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement