Will games in the future only support Direct 3D and not Open GL?

Started by
17 comments, last by Zirco 22 years, 8 months ago
that''s what worries, me. i''ve see code for both of these and decided to learn open gl because it seemed a bit easier, but i''m worried that game companies will only hire people that know direct 3d then OpenGL will not be very popular. since graphics cards are getting more and more faster and common, direct3d has all the features openGL has and is sometimes faster with better graphics.
Advertisement
Well, there are really two things aside from the acutal coding that keep OpenGL in there.

1. The fact that OpenGL is already a finished API (but still allows for extentions)
2. Portability

This might be inaccurate from a game programming standpoint, but the way I think about it is, OpenGL is Linux and Direct3D is Microsoft. I don''t think linux is really dying off, and I doubt any of the major video card manufacturers would release a video card without OpenGL drivers.
A lot of companies use OpenGL, it wont go unused anytime soon. id Software use it, most of their licensee''s use it, Epic use it, Dynamix used it, etc.

It wont go the same way as glide, thats for sure.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
People asked this a year ago. The answer was no then and is still no now. Ask again next year
it always amazes me how people say such stupid stuff without doing a little research first. if opengl has been in use for the past 10 years why would u assume people would stop using it? d3d is not that great
A lot of other RTOS''s like QNX also have OGL support as opposed to Direct3D, so I doubt OGL will die for another 4-5 years.

OGL supports a large base, hence it probably will have more support from the coders than Direct3D.

Hello from my world
anonymous poster, i know how long it''s been around. didn''t you read what i said? some of the latest games are using only direct3d.
Zirco, a lot of old games only used Direct3D too But that doesn''t stop OpenGL because OpenGL has always been pretty good at what it does, whereas Direct3D started off as an appalling hack and has taken about 7 iterations to reach a similar level of expertise, with a >100mb SDK needed to use it. Advances in the field are driven by hardware more than software, so as long as there are sufficient OpenGL extensions available, both APIs will probably continue happily for quite some time yet.
Another example why Anonymous Posters should not be permitted. No need to resort to insults.

Zirco, the reason why OpenGL is ''still around'' is because it''s an industry standard apart from anything Microsoft has developed. MS might have a great (nearly exclusive, in fact) market share for consumer OS''s, but anything not at the consumer level shares the market with BeOS, Unix (and all flavors), Macintosh, and so on. DirectX doesn''t work on these, but you can bet OpenGL works great on them. That''s why OpenGL will be around for a very very long time.

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org

The guy was asking about game companies, and there arent any game companies writing games for QNX or Beos, and almost none for linux, so it is irrelevent if opengl is still alive on those, what matters is what is used by the gamedevelopers and if you had to pick just 1 api, which one would be better to learn for a game developing career. Of course its best to know both, but i would say if you had to pick just one, go with DirectX. Kylotan, that >100 mb sdk is not a bad thing, but a good thing. I wish opengl had an sdk like directx''s, it would probably increase the ease of use and popularity of it alot. Its current online (i think red and blue books) suck compared to the directx sdk.

Possibility

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement