Will games in the future only support Direct 3D and not Open GL?

Started by
17 comments, last by Zirco 22 years, 8 months ago
BioWare uses OpenGL for Baldurs Gate, and requires you know it if you wish to work there. OpenGL supports all operating systems, and Direct3D doesnt. OpenGl wont go anytime soon.

~ from the depths of the ocean
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."~Friedrich Nietzsche
Advertisement
I think OGL will be around for quite some time, and with M$ increasing unpopularity I think the developers will be looking at building cross-platform (ie linux) games more and more, and the only decent xplatform graphics API is.....OpenGL!
Also nVidia & ID heavily support OGL, there are 2 of the major players in the graphics/games world backing it, not to mention the highend SGI workstations that use it.
So I think that OGL is here to stay - MS just wishes that it would go...

My $0.02
Brad
OpenGL and DirectX don''t really compete since theyre both free , in fact openGL will probably become more popular because of the WindowsXP buoycott.

X4J
X4J
And Playstation only uses OGL, doesn't it? I think if life were fair, OGL would totally beat out D3D but we all know life isn't fair. The code for OGL just seems so much nicer to use to me.

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on August 12, 2001 10:00:48 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Possibility
Kylotan, that >100 mb sdk is not a bad thing, but a good thing. I wish opengl had an sdk like directx''s, it would probably increase the ease of use and popularity of it alot. Its current online (i think red and blue books) suck compared to the directx sdk.

I think the OpenGL api is pretty self-explanatory when compared to Direct3D in all its incarnations. We''re on version 8 of D3D and still people like Zirco are saying "i''ve seen code for both of these and decided to learn open gl because it seemed a bit easier".

Anyway, regardless of quality/ease-of-use, no-one should have to download that much just to get going. Needing to download one massive monolithic SDK does nobody any favours. Why isn''t it split into Core/Graphics/Sound/Network etc? Why are their examples so poor? (Ok, so that''s a bit subjective.)

quote:Original post by Sickilla
OpenGL and DirectX don''t really compete since theyre both free , in fact openGL will probably become more popular because of the WindowsXP buoycott.

X4J

While that''s true in theory, the fact is that each of these does have a cost, in terms of the manpower expended writing the API and customized graphics routines into the game.
The number of companies that release games for *nix is increasing at a steady pace, and guess what, they are using OpenGL and not DX.

Just because some of the new games support only DX doesnt mean that OGL is dying. Some new games support only OGL as well! The new Doom engine is being coded in OGL, and we''ve all (or should have) seen the video of that from Tokyo, or the demonstration at QuakeCon.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
quote:Original post by Possibility
The guy was asking about game companies, and there arent any game companies writing games for QNX or Beos, and almost none for linux, so it is irrelevent if opengl is still alive on those, what matters is what is used by the gamedevelopers and if you had to pick just 1 api, which one would be better to learn for a game developing career. Of course its best to know both, but i would say if you had to pick just one, go with DirectX. Kylotan, that >100 mb sdk is not a bad thing, but a good thing. I wish opengl had an sdk like directx''s, it would probably increase the ease of use and popularity of it alot. Its current online (i think red and blue books) suck compared to the directx sdk.

Possibility

No one writes games for QNX ?? Seems like you have no idea that Quake and doom exist in QNX. The number users may be less, but nmany port their games to most OS''s as possible depending on the market of today and by predicting how it might be tomorrow.

Lokigames write games for Linux, most games written for linux can be ported with ease to the QNX OS. It just takes time for an OS to pick up.

Lastly if you like DX ,use it,don''t want to use DX, then don''t.

Hello from my world
quote:
Lokigames write games for Linux, most games written for linux can be ported with ease to the QNX OS. It just takes time for an OS to pick up.

BTW Lokigames just filed for bankrupcy today cause not enough linux people are buying games. The way I see it is that OpenGL will never die out, it is used heavily in industry for similations and other graphical uses.

As far as game development goes, the future is less secure, but I think OpenGL will definately still stick around. Many games support both technology, such as Half-Life. In this case the HL community considers you a newbie if you are using directx, all the hardcore gamers run in OpenGL. Half-Life 2 will eventually be coming out, and it too will support both technologies.

The bonus is that if you understand OpenGL, you can easily learn DirectX, you have already mastered the theory, its just a case of learning alternative function calls etc. Learn which ever you consider the easiest or best, it will still be around for a long time to come, and when demand for it does drop you can easily switch to the other.

G Coates
------------------------------------------------------------

Gavin Coates

Co-Founder

http://www.multiplayercentral.co.uk
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement