To LostLogic

Started by
19 comments, last by Fitore 22 years, 7 months ago
the space pirate demo that comes with the book crashes every time during the initialization. plus the sdk that came with the book was pretty messed up, after the installation, i had to copy and paste some items manually from temp folder, anyway, now it supports the all the 3d samples that came with the sdk, but i still cant get it to work with your demos (there''re 2 messageboxes, the first one says "Failed to create display device", and the 2nd one, "Unable to intitiallize direct3d"). i know you are just the author, you are not responsible for stuff like this, but i dont know who else to contact, by the way, your book is great, keep up the good work
Advertisement
-Do you have the right DX version installed (Win95/Win2k edition, DX7 or DX8, don''t know what it needs)

-Does your computer have an 3D accelarator? I believe the book is DX8, so it really needs one.

I''m not LostLogic, but it seems more to be a Device problem than a code problem...
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Hello Fitore,

Did you install the SDK by using the installation program that comes with the CD? Some people have bypassed the CD install program that Prima developed, unsucessfully.

Also, what kind of video card do you have? Your OS and other system spec information would help as well.

Thanks!

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

i dont think its the sdk, as i mentioned, all the 3d samples that came with the dx8 sdk work perfectly well, and yes, my card supports 3d acc,
here is my system info:
laptop, celeron 400, 68 ram, TRIDENT CYBER9525DVD(v card), 2.5G vedio mem,
and i did not bypass the installation program, but then i had to go back to the temp folder to find the help doc and all the samples, because the install program missed them somehow
u know what, ill just reinstall everything(the source code and the sdk), and ill get back to you tonight
I am concerned a bit that your laptop will not display the graphics properly though. Trident cards are not exactly top-notch 3d accelerators. Do you have a different machine?

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

nope, im 17 and im living by myself, it would be a while before i can afford another computer, but i guess i can try it on my friends'' computer,
and by the way, i just reinstalled the sdk, its like the install program missed the whole 3d part or something, now none of the 3d samples work, and when i tried to test the agp texturing with the diagnostic tool, my whole system crashed, and when i looked into the mssdk folder, the uninstall program is also corrupted,

thanx for your time, and ill get back to you after i test everything on my friend''s machine
now i have just confirmed that my hardware is not a factor, i installed the sdk on my buddy's 800 mhz, geforce2 machine, and we encountered the exact same problems, and i think the only logical explaination is your sdk is corrupted,
do you think i should contact the publisher to ask for another copy of the cd,

Edited by - Fitore on August 14, 2001 6:11:43 PM
I''m still having the problem with initialization myself. Posted this a while back. It''s not my install of DirectX or my video drivers. Both Space Pirates and RPGQuest will work the first time, then if I try to run them or any other DirectX based program it will give me an error.

I''ve searched through the code trying to find a fix but to no avail.
how exactly did you install the sdk,
here is what i did:
after clicking the green hyper link in the dx section, i waited about 20 min, then this save window poped up, so i saved the zip file on my desktop. and then i double clicked on the zip file, unzipped everything into the temp folder, i tried to use winzip to install the program directly, but that didnt happen, so i had to go to the temp folder and run the installation program from there.
i repeated these several times on mine and my buddy's machine, well, you know the rest, its like everything is properly installed except the 3d stuff

Edited by - Fitore on August 15, 2001 10:29:46 AM
Have you tried to download the SDK from Microsofts website? (www.microsoft.com/directx)

I know that is not much of an answer to your problem but it does sound like an SDK installation issue. If the 3D examples from the SDK do not work then my demos will not work either.

Keep me posted.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement