Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

finas

OpenGL differents between openGL and DX

Hi all, I wrote my 3D engine with openGL, but I want to move it to DX now. How must be Engine which can to work with openGL and DirectX. I don''t want to write 2 differents eng3d. maybe: if ( SETTINGS->VideoCardSupportOpenGL ) __platform = OPENGL else __platform = DX -[finas]-

How about using a nice class structure? Something like this:

class CRenderer
{
public:
virtual void drawScene() = 0;
}

class D3DRenderer : public CRenderer
{
public:
void drawScene();
}

class OGLRenderer : public CRenderer
{
public:
void drawScene();
}

Then, in your game loop, you can do something like this:

CRenderer* pRenderer;
if(renderType == R_OPENGL)
pRenderer = new OGLRender;
else if(renderType == R_D3D)
pRenderer = new D3DRenderer;

pRenderer->applyTransformations();
pRenderer->calculateVis();
pRenderer->calculateLights();
pRenderer->drawScene();

This way, you only have to worry about whether you are using D3D or OpenGL whey you first start your app. All the method calls are the same.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee

Guest Anonymous Poster
Use DLLs with a standarized API. Then at runtime, you load the appropriate DLL.

D3D and OpenGL aren''t that different, esp. since DX8, M$ uses more OpenGL like functions. For allmost all OpenGL commands and concepts, you will find a D3D alike. Eg. VertexArrays = VertexBuffers in D3D, I think. But beware: If you are used to the clean, simple and logical programming style of OpenGL, you''ll get some surprises. D3D is made by M$, this should say everything, forget about simplicity. Although D3D8 is a bit better.

im doing some similar, only i use only OpenGL, but i do support multiple window managers. the way i found is to have standard functions (like wndCreate()) to do the things different window managers would do. for each OS/window manager i have a different module to compile the functions from. make -fWin32.mak for the windows version, make -fGnome.mak for gnome specifics, make -fglut.mak, etc.