Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help! DX8 3D XFile creation and implementation

This topic is 5965 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My 2D platform game ZeroOne use to be a DDraw7 based game and have recently converted it to D3D8 using the D3DXSprite interface to draw the 2D sprites. The main reason I converted it to use 3D was to implement 3D objects in the background such as mountains, though I have little experience with 3D objects so I need some help. What I would like to do is create an X File mountain object (converted from a 3DS file) and draw it in the background of the level, then use D3DXSprite to blit the 2D stuff such as the level construction and sprites over the top. 1) Is this an easy enough task? 2) How do I set the matrices, 3D states, etc? 2) Can someone pls send me some code to load and draw an X File? If u download my game, you will see the 2D mountains in the background that I would like to replace to give you a understanding of what I am trying to do. Thanks in advance

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Hi SikCiv,

There is a very good tutorial on this in the sdk ...\samples\multimedia\direct3d\tutorials\tut06_meshes.

This will show you how to load and render x file meshes (textured ones even !!)

Good luck

El Duderino