(integrated) software development infrastructure/tools

Started by
2 comments, last by Hodgman 13 years, 10 months ago
Hi all,

assumed, you had the chance to redo your companies development infrastucture, which solutions would you evaluate/choose?

As an example: mercurial, trac using plugins for integration of project management, buildsystem and testframework.

or simply MS Team Foundation Server.

Which infrastucture/tools did you work with? And whats your general approval?

Well, here is my experience in telegram style, which should be sufficient, since we still have google to fill in the gaps.

Clearcase/Clearquest: It simply doesn't work out. Slow Slow Slow. Unintuitive UI. Lacking atomic commits.

Subversion: Works well in general. Tends to fail when it comes to branching and merging.

Mercurial/TortoiseHG + VisualSVN + MSBuild + boost/test(unfortunatly this is native only): works great.
Big plus for distibuted VCS, expecially if you work on different environments often, which is what I have to do.

Bugzilla: Did a good job back then when I used it.
Mantis: Did a good job back then when I used it.

Trac: Never really used it. But looks very usefull from what I can tell observing boost development.

Best Jochen

Why did Doug Gregor create the empty directory?
Advertisement
I've never had bad merge problems with SVN (like it's renowned for) and we used to branch a lot to get HG-style private commit type workflows happening. However, it's bollocks for large files (like game art).

Perforce seems really solid from experience, handles large files, works pretty well with merging change-sets... but it's workflow is annoying unless you've got good integration with your other tools.
Ty for your reply Hodgman.

I'm curious, is anybody using trac in their production environment?

Best Jochen
Why did Doug Gregor create the empty directory?
At my last job we used trac to manage a team of about 2 dozen people.

It worked ok. The optional integration with your subversion system and doxygen files (so you can view them thru trac and link to them from tasks/bugs) was pretty cool.
It's pretty customisable, but IIRC you need someone who knows SQL to set up your custom views.

It's been a while, but I don't think Trac was very good at giving you an "in progress" view, besides at the milestone level. The one I use at my current job (proprietary, private) gives much finer grained data to project managers than that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement