World Cup 2010

Started by
279 comments, last by LessBread 13 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by frob
Quote:Original post by LessBread
We was robbed!

Welcome to FIFA!

We see it every year. This one wasn't bad because the USA didn't have much hope (sorry, but just being honest). Remember last year's Ireland/France handball?

Every year there are refs that are completely blind, or ignore fouls, or call fouls that are obviously fair, and even call fouls because they happened to have a whistle near their mouth. They keep saying no to it, but I don't give it too many years before FIFA gets an instant replay system for refs.

I hope youre kidding, this is probably one of the the worst officiating decisions in sporting history. There is very few times were you can say without a single bit of doubt that the referee made a bad call, and even rarer that it dramatically made an impact. There is often at least a sliver of doubt in whether the ref was right.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Crazyfool
Quote:Original post by frob
Quote:Original post by LessBread
We was robbed!

Welcome to FIFA!

We see it every year. This one wasn't bad because the USA didn't have much hope (sorry, but just being honest). Remember last year's Ireland/France handball?

Every year there are refs that are completely blind, or ignore fouls, or call fouls that are obviously fair, and even call fouls because they happened to have a whistle near their mouth. They keep saying no to it, but I don't give it too many years before FIFA gets an instant replay system for refs.

I hope youre kidding, this is probably one of the the worst officiating decisions in sporting history. There is very few times were you can say without a single bit of doubt that the referee made a bad call, and even rarer that it dramatically made an impact. There is often at least a sliver of doubt in whether the ref was right.

Nice exaggeration.
I would think this or this to be worse. You had a goal disallowed get over it, they are not going to play the game again :)

Quote:They keep saying no to it, but I don't give it too many years before FIFA gets an instant replay system for refs.

I would say it is not going to happen, if it ever did it would be a very sad day for the game.
Ghana v Australia

First half; Ghana started really badly and it wasn't a surprise when Australia scored. Keeper fumbled, great follow up from the Aussies.

As for the sending off; great call by the ref is seems.
Out field you probably would have got away with just a free kick but as the last man back on the line if you stop it with your arm you are in trouble. The replays clearly show it hitting his arm, which by the laws of the game is a handball and hes got to go.

After that however Ghana haven't done what they should have namely up the game and keep the pressure on the Aussies. Towards the end of the half they started to look more dangerous so maybe we'll see more of the same in the 2nd half.
As an American, this seems to be a great year to start following the World Cup.

Of course I've heard of "Bend it like Beckham", but some of these guys are just amazing...
----------------------------My site: www.sudoexec.net

Team Orange still isn't playing well but whatever: two games, six points.
Ghana v Australia

Full time and wow... out of the two teams Australia looked like the ones most likely to win. They were all over the Ghana team for alot of that half and Ghana just didn't push; it looked like the Aussies had the extra man.

Ghana's biggest problem was they kept shooting from so far out which just isn't going to work.
Source: FIFA may sit Slovenia-U.S. referee

Quote:
JOHANNESBURG – The referee who disallowed a potential game-winning goal for the United States will face an expedited performance review from FIFA and is likely to be excluded from the rest of the World Cup, according to a FIFA source.

Koman Coulibaly from Mali disallowed Maurice Edu’s 86th-minute strike that would have given the USA a 3-2 lead over Slovenia at Ellis Park and likely would have led to a thrilling comeback victory Friday. Coulibaly appeared to rule that American midfielder Michael Bradley had impeded a Slovenian defender, even though video replays showed no infringement.

FIFA’s refereeing committee will review footage from the Group C clash on Saturday to evaluate Coulibaly’s performance after several USA players complained about the way he had struggled to control a fiercely contested match.

Every World Cup match is viewed live by an on-site assessor who monitors the referee’s performance. However, in this case, a deeper assessment will take place at the earliest possible opportunity. That this is happening so quickly suggests FIFA is taking the complaints about Coulibaly seriously and is likely to leave him unassigned to referee further matches, according to the source. He could still appear as a line judge or other supporting role.

“If he is found to have made a serious mistake, especially one that affected the outcome, then he would be highly unlikely to play any further part in the tournament,” said the source, who is close to senior figures on the refereeing panel. “FIFA is determined to keep refereeing standards high and does not want high-profile mistakes.”

Coulibaly came under heavy criticism from the U.S. team and head coach Bob Bradley, but it was not just the Edu no-goal that will come under scrutiny.

Not just the nullified goal under the scope. Like the Findlay yellow card I hope. I watched the replays and the ball hit him in the face not the hand.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
">I'm going to leave this here.
Quote:Original post by Sirisian
">I'm going to leave this here.

Please don't. [sick]

And while people are "winning" draws, congrats to the All Whites on a great 1-1 "victory" over Italy. [grin] Still pretty difficult to get out of the group, though.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
NZ came very close to winning that game.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement